BattleWings Topple the Arkansas Twisters 80-69
Little Rock, AR (July 19, 2008)- The Bossier-Shreveport BattleWings tripped up the Twisters 80-69 in what was a must win situation for the BattleWings if they had any visions of making the playoffs this season. The BattleWings, who lost to the Twisters at home back in late May, played one of their best offensive games of the year and outscored the Twisters 52-36 in the second half to push their record to 8-7 on the season.
The end of the first half saw the BattleWings' trailing the Twisters 33-28, but the Wings' came out firing on all cylinders in the 3rd quarter as FB Jason Schule caught a 28 yard pass from QB Gary Cooper to give the BattleWings their first lead of the evening. BattleWings' WR Chavis McCollister added two more scores in the 3rd quarter, but the Twisters would not go away. Led by WR Chris Denney, who caught 3 of his 5 TD receptions in the final stanza, the Twisters took the lead away from the Wings' twice in the fourth quarter, but the BattleWings were able to score on a 1 yard Jason Schule run after Gary Cooper connected with WR Manwell Talbert (10 receptions for 176 yards and 2 TD's on the night) on a 48 yard pass with less than a minute remaining in the game. The Twisters had one final chance with 23 seconds left, but the ball was fumbled in the End Zone and recovered by Wings' DB Dustin Johnson for a touchdown.
The BattleWings are one of three (South Georgia and Wilkes/Barre Scranton are the others) teams in the league to score 80 or more points in a game and become the first team this season to score 80 or more points in a game more than once. The BattleWing victory sets up a Southwest Divisional showdown in Austin next Saturday between the Wings' and the Wranglers, which will determine the division championship. The winner of that game is not only guaranteed a playoff game, but will host a home playoff game the first weekend of August.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 20, 2008
- Last Call for Stormers Football - Iowa Barnstormers
- Coyotes Beat Burn 55-50, in Save Mart Debut - Central Valley Coyotes
- Spokane steam rolls Quad City - Spokane Shock
- Lightning use big run to down Fever - Stockton Lightning
- BattleWings Topple the Arkansas Twisters 80-69 - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings Stories
- Tulsa Trounces Wings Once Again
- BattleWings Make Unprecedented Move in Bossier-Shreveport
- Yad Dawgz Bruatlize BattleWings in Bossier
- BattleWings to Celebrate Fire Fighters
- BattleWings host pre-season game for Haiti Relief