Battery Beats Black Cats
Charleston, SC - The Charleston Battery defeated Sunderland AFC tonight at Blackbaud Stadium by a score of two goals to one in front of a crowd of 3,239. Paul Conway scored the first goal and Jesus Martinez added the second both in the first half. Sunderland replied through substitute defender Steve Caldwell but the Battery defended well and held on for the win.
Charleston opened the scoring in the 6th minute. The ball dropped to midfielder Henrik Jensen at the back of the 18-yard box following a Battery throw-in. Jensen drove the ball back across the face of the goal to Conway who tucked it into the goal from three yards out.
In the 7th minute Sunderland left-back Julio Arca drove a left-footed shot on target from 20-yards out. Charleston goalkeeper Dusty Hudock was well positioned and made a good diving save.
The Battery doubled its lead in the 19th minute. Martinez played the ball into space for midfielder Gabe Valencia. Valencia returned the ball to Martinez just inside the box. Martinez steadied himself then lashed shot inside just inside the far post, past Sunderland goalkeeper Ben Alnwick.
Sunderland made several substitutions at half-time and pulled a goal back on the hour. Arca beat a Battery defender down by the corner-flag then whipped a cross in to the far post. Substitute defender Steve Caldwell met the cross and snapped a header past substitute goalkeeper Chris Doyle and into the goal.
Charleston almost scored again in the 66th minute. Martinez was put through on goal by Josh Smith. He carried the ball into the box but was denied by a foot-save from substitute goalkeeper, Mart Poom.
Next up for the Battery is a fourth round US Open Cup match versus Major League Soccer's MetroStars this Tuesday night at Blackbaud Stadium; kick off is set for 7:30 PM.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from July 17, 2004
- Battery Beats Black Cats - Charleston Battery
- Timbers Road Game Change Reminder - Portland Timbers
- Impact swept by Syracuse - Montreal Impact
- Martin Nash Scores to Lead the Whitecaps Over Portland - Vancouver Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston Battery Stories
- Charleston Battery Home Opener Set for March 9
- Charleston Battery Announces Initial Roster Moves Ahead of 2019 Season
- Chicago Fire, FC Cincinnati Set to Play in Challenge Cup
- Charleston Battery Makes Donation to North Charleston Cop Athletic Program
- Battery Falls to New York Red Bulls II in Conference Quarterfinals