Bandits Cruise Past Comets to Secure 11th Straight Win
Rosemont, Ill. - A four run third inning sparked the Chicago Bandits (17-3) in their 5-1 victory over the Cleveland Comets (9-15) on Friday.
After Emily Crane got on base with a walk, Gwen Svekis started the scoring for the Bandits with a towering two run home run. Svekis is now one behind Crane for the team lead in home runs with three on the season.
"I went in there and was ready to catch up to her speed. [Sierra Hyland] was booking it in there a little bit," Svekis said. "My idea was to get on time and attack early in the count."
Abby Ramirez kept the inning going in the very next at-bat with another walk. After Brenna Moss reached base with a single, Jessie Scroggins got the runners in scoring position with a sacrifice bunt. Hannah Flippen hit a single to capitalize on the opportunity and scored Ramirez and Moss.
The Bandits further added to their lead in the fourth inning. Kristyn Sandberg started things off with a single. With Aleshia Ocasio pinch running, Crane hit a double to score Ocasio all the way from first base.
To go along with a strong offense, the Bandits also got a significant contribution from their pitching staff. Ocasio started the first 4.2 innings, giving up her lone run on a Chelsea Gonzales home run in the fifth inning. Kelly Barnhill came in relief with two outs in the inning and finished the rest of the game. Barnhill struck out three batters and only gave up one baserunner in 2.1 innings.
The Bandits will look to continue their winning streak and complete the series sweep over the Comets with a double header on Saturday, July 6th. The first game will start at 4:30 C.T.
Images from this story
Gwen Svekis of the Chicago Bandits
Gwen Svekis of the Chicago Bandits at the plate
• Discuss this story on the National Pro Fastpitch message board...
National Pro Fastpitch Stories from July 5, 2019
- Bandits Cruise Past Comets to Secure 11th Straight Win - Chicago Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Bandits Stories
- Bandits Win Double Header Over Comets to Complete Series Sweep and Extend Winning Streak to 13
- Bandits Cruise Past Comets to Secure 11th Straight Win
- Bandits Pull Away Late From Comets on Independence Day to Extend Winning Streak to Ten
- Bandits Extend Winning Streak to 9 with a Series Opener Victory Over the Comets
- Florida Right-Hander Barnhill Headlines Bandits' 2019 Draft Class