B-Sens Score Late in a 2-1 Win at Springfield
SPRINGFIELD, MA - Max McCormick scored late in regulation and Chris Driedger made 21 saves as the Binghamton Senators defeated the Springfield Thunderbirds, 2-1, at MassMutual Center on Sunday night.
Michael Blunden put the B-Sens up 1-0 lead 8:20 into the first period. Patrick Sieloff sent a pass across the blue line to the right point for an awaiting Michael Kostka. Kostka let a shot go that went off the end glass and came out to the left of goaltender Mike McKenna. Blunden was waiting and batted the puck out of the air and into the net for his third of the season. Binghamton went into the first intermission with one-goal lead and 10-9 shot advantage.
Another crazy bounce helped tie the game as the Thunderbirds got on the board just over midway through the second period. Ian McCoshen took the puck at the left point and sent a shot purposely off the end boards to the right of the goaltender Driedger. The puck sailed hard off the boards and bounced off Driedger and in to even the score 1-1 with the only assist going to Dryden Hunt.
Penalties were handed out at 14:01 of the second period after a hit by Springfield's Sena Acolatse on Kyle Flanagan. After the whistle, Binghamton's Ben Harpur went after Acolatse and dropped the gloves and both were handed five-minute major penalties. Acolatse was tacked with an extra two-minute minor for charging while Harpur picked up two minutes for instigating and an automatic ten-minute misconduct. After two periods, the B-Sens held the shot lead 22-19 in the tie game.
The B-Sens took their second and final lead of the game with 4:04 remaining in the third period. Phil Varone won an offensive zone faceoff back to Max McCormick who was waiting at the top of the circle behind Varone. McCormick let a low shot go through traffic that beat McKenna between the legs for his second goal of the year. Varone's assist was his second of the season.
Springfield pulled its goaltender but the Senators held on for the 2-1 win. Driedger stopped 21 of 22 shots for his second win of the year.
The B-Sens return home for Military Appreciation Weekend next Friday and Saturday at 7:05 p.m. The Providence Bruins visit on Friday night while the Springfield Thunderbirds travel to Binghamton on Saturday. After the game on Saturday, fans can enjoy a postgame skate along with a specialty Military Appreciation Weekend jersey auction Fans can tune in on U.S. Country 96.9 FM, 680 AM, iHeartRadio's website and mobile app, and AHL Live.
Affordable ticket packages for the 2016-17 season of Binghamton Senators hockey are on sale now! For more information on tickets, including pricing and location, visit www.binghamtonsenators.com or call the Senators front office at 607-722-SENS(7367).
Stay current with the latest team news by visiting www.binghamtonsenators.com. Follow the Senators all year long on Facebook (/binghamtonsenators), Twitter (@SenatorsAHL), Instagram (@senatorsahl), Snapchat (@bsenshockey), and the team's Youtube channel (/BinghamtonSenators).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 6, 2016
- Comeback Stymied as Hogs Fall 2-1 to Wild in OT - Rockford IceHogs
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Cory Conacher from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Wild Stun IceHogs in OT for 2-1 Win - Iowa Wild
- B-Sens Score Late in a 2-1 Win at Springfield - Binghamton Senators
- Penguins Defeat P-Bruins in Shootout - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Marlies Outlast IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Condors Leading Scorer, Taylor Beck, Recalled by Edmonton - Bakersfield Condors
- Windy City's Winning Week Continues - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Trampled by Moose - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Hold on for 2-1 Victory over Comets - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Clip Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Providence Bruins Win over Hartford - Providence Bruins
- Englund Notches His First in B-Sens 4-1 Loss - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Defeat Wild 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Comets Come up Short in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Bears Hand Devils Road Loss - Albany Devils
- Rampage Thrilling 6-5 Victory over Barracuda - San Antonio Rampage
- IceCaps Drop Marlies - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.