B-Sens Power Play Catches Fire in 3-2 Win over Devils
ALBANY, NY - The Binghamton Senators scored two power-play goals and held on late for a 3-2 win over the Albany Devils at Times Union Center on Wednesday night.
Max McCormick scored his fourth of the year just 5:09 into the game for a B-Sens' 1-0 lead. Mike Blunden moved through the neutral zone and slid the puck to McCormick who wristed a shot from the left wing circle by the blocker of Mackenzie Blackwood. McCormick's goal was assisted by Blunden and Chad Nehring.
On the power play Binghamton took a two-goal lead later in the period. With Blunden providing a screen in front of the net, Casey Bailey fired a slap shot that trickled through the pads of Blackwood for the 2-0 lead. The goal was Bailey's team-leading seventh of the season at 13:18 with the assists going to Nick Paul and Jason Akeson. Binghamton led 2-0 after one period and outshot Albany 10-6.
The only goal of the second period came off the stick of Kyle Flanagan on the power play. After the faceoff was won back to Chris Carlisle, he fed Flanagan at the top of the right circle who ripped a shot just inside the left post and by the glove of Blackwood for his second of the year. The only helper on Flanagan's goal went to Carlisle at 15:08. Binghamton held a 3-0 lead heading into the final period.
Albany got one back 9:02 into the third courtesy of Rod Pelley's fifth of the season. Luke Gazdic moved below the goal line and swung the puck to the front of the net that deflected off the glove of Pelley and sailed by Matt O'Connor. Assists were given to Gazdic and Blake Coleman.
The Devils pulled within a goal on the power play with 5:55 left in the game. Joe Blandisi took the puck to the right of the net and played it across the top of the crease to an awaiting Brian Gibbons who lifted the puck over O'Connor's left pad decreasing Binghamton's lead to 3-2. The goal was Gibbons' fourth of the year assisted by Blandisi and John Quenneville.
Binghamton was forced to kill a 6-on-4 power play to finish the game as O'Connor kept the Devils off the board late for the 3-2 win. O'Connor stopped 21 of 23 shots for the win.
The Senators return home for two games this Friday against Utica and Saturday against Bridgeport. Friday, fans can win FREE coffee for a year and Saturday it's Teddy Bear Toss Night along with a postgame skate! Can't make it? Fans can tune in on U.S. Country 96.9 FM, 680 AM, iHeartRadio's website and mobile app, and AHL Live.
Affordable ticket packages for the 2016-17 season of Binghamton Senators hockey are on sale now! For more information on tickets, including pricing and location, visit www.binghamtonsenators.com or call the Senators front office at 607-722-SENS (7367).
Stay current with the latest team news by visiting www.binghamtonsenators.com. Follow the Senators all year long on Facebook (/binghamtonsenators), Twitter (@SenatorsAHL), Instagram (@senatorsahl), Snapchat (@bsenshockey), and the team's Youtube channel (/BinghamtonSenators).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2016
- Campbell and Purcell Power Reign Past Roadrunners in Overtime - Ontario Reign
- GAME RECAP: Checkers' Road Woes Continue with 3-1 Loss to Heat - Charlotte Checkers
- Rampage Tame IceHogs 3-2 in Overtime Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Pour 50 Shots at Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Griffins Run Point Streak to Seven with 6-5 OT Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wilcox Makes Career-High 48 Saves in 4-2 Victory over Phantoms - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Edged by Griffins in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Springfield Thunderbirds 4, Hartford Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils' Surge Falls Just Shy against Senators - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Power Play Catches Fire in 3-2 Win over Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Teemu Pulkkinen - Iowa Wild
- News 'CANES ASSIGN DAHLBECK TO CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- Condors to Wear Specialty Pearl Harbor 75th Anniversary Jerseys - Bakersfield Condors
- IceHogs Face Rampage on Winning Weekdays and Dollar Days - Rockford IceHogs
- Rhode Island Native Acciari Back with P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Providence Bruins Annual Toy Drive Set for this Weekend - Providence Bruins
- Vote for the Ontario Reign 10th Anniversary Logo - Ontario Reign
- IceCaps Celebrate the Season this Weekend - St. John's IceCaps
- Manitoba Moose Moose Sign DeSalvo to AHL Contract - Manitoba Moose
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Look to Continue Upward Trend - Ontario Reign
- Wolf Pack Announce Player Transactions - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Red Wings Assign Coreau and Nosek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils Today / Game Day -- December 7, 2016 - Albany Devils
- Phantoms Partner with Valley Youth House for Teddy Bear Toss - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Condors Get Point in 4-3 Overtime Loss to San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.