B-Sens Give up Lead in 3-2 Loss to Comets
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - The Binghamton Senators gave up another third-period lead on Saturday night in a 3-2 loss to the visiting Utica Comets inside Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena.
Kyle Flanagan scored the lone goal of the first period just three minutes into play. Ben Harpur and Jack Rodewald worked to keep the puck in the Comets zone and it eventually took a path to Flanagan waiting in the faceoff circle. Flanagan beat Thatcher Demko top shelf for his eighth goal of the year. Binghamton took the 1-0 lead to the intermission outshooting Utica 13-10.
Casey Bailey continued the scoring for the B-Sens into the second period when he put home his 15th of the year at the 13:57 mark. Bailey jumped on the puck during a two-on-one breakaway opportunity and skated up the right side of the ice before stopping in front of Demko. Bailey took an initial shot that was blocked by a Comets defender, but the rebound came right back and he sent the puck right through Demko's legs. Francis Perron and Nick Paul picked up the assists on the goal.
The Comets got on the board and cut the home team's lead in half five minutes later during a power play. Chad Billins took a shot from the slot that Max McCormick managed to block before the puck trickled over to Cody Kunyk waiting by the right faceoff dot. Kunyk scored his 10th goal of the season with Curtis Valk earning the secondary assist. The B-Sens went to the locker room leading 2-1 and despite being outshot 22-21.
Utica tied the game at two a piece just a minute into the final frame. Mike Zalewski took a wide shot that hit the boards and came back through a handful of bodies. Borna Rendulic put the puck on his stick and found the back of the wide-open net. Colby Robak also assisted on Rendulic's ninth goal of the year.
Kunyk scored his second goal of the night and the eventual game winner with less than five minutes to play. Darren Archibald picked up the puck in the corner and sent a back door feed to Kunyk who beat Matt O'Connor to eventually end the game at a 3-2 score with Billins getting his second assist of the night.
O'Connor finished the night with 24 saves in the losing effort. Demko had 30 saves to earn the win for Utica.
Binghamton will play the last game in the three-in-three weekend tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. against the Hartford Wolf Pack. Fans can tune in on U.S. Country 96.9 FM, 680 AM, iHeartRadio's website and mobile app, and AHL Live.
For more information on tickets, including pricing and location, visit www.binghamtonsenators.com or call the Senators front office at 607-722-SENS (7367).
Stay current with the latest team news by visiting www.binghamtonsenators.com. Follow the Senators all year long on Facebook (/binghamtonsenators), Twitter (@SenatorsAHL), Instagram (@senatorsahl), Snapchat (@bsenshockey), and the team's Youtube channel (/BinghamtonSenators).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 25, 2017
- Wolves Pull Away from Wild 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Late Push Not Enough as Amerks Fall to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Playoff Atmosphere at Sold-Out PPL Center for Phantoms/Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Fritz, Ho-Sang and Dal Colle Each Score in Second Straight Setback - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Goers Buries Overtime Winner as Pens Beat Phantoms, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Springfield's Mckenna Frustrates Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Rally for Regulation Win - Utica Comets
- B-Sens Give up Lead in 3-2 Loss to Comets - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Downed by Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Comeback to Sweep Home-And-Home with Bridgeport - Providence Bruins
- Devils and IceCaps Split Weekend Series - Albany Devils
- Checkers Come Alive to Steamroll Monsters 6-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- St. John's Steals 5-4 Win over Albany - St. John's IceCaps
- Monsters Stumble vs. Checkers, 6-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms to Participate in 2018 Outdoor Classic at Hersheypark Stadium - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tampa Bay Lightning Acquire Stefan Fournier from Arizona Coyotes - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Assign Hill to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Canucks Recall Labate and Subban, Comets Sign Wall - Utica Comets
- Remi Elie Recalled by Dallas Stars - Texas Stars
- Amerks Recall Jason Kasdorf from Elmira - Rochester Americans
- Goaltender Jeff Zatkoff Assigned to Reign; Defenseman Connor Added - Ontario Reign
- Canucks Recall Alexandre Grenier And Evan Mceneny - Utica Comets
- Griffins Recall Caito - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Reign Fall in Thriller to Condors - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Score Three Power-Play Goals En Route to 6-2 Win over Stars - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Rally for 4-3 Victory over Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.