Atlanta United Draws 1-1 at Inter Miami CF
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Atlanta United played to a 1-1 draw against Inter Miami CF Sunday at DRV PNK Stadium. Josef Martínez scored his first goal of the season, and his first since Feb. 25, 2020 prior to his season-ending injury.
Atlanta United took the lead less than 10 minutes into the match. Emerson Hyndman received a pass from Jake Mulraney on the right side and played it to Martínez inside the box. With his back to goal, Martínez settled the pass before turning and wrapping his left foot around the ball in one swift motion, perfectly tucking the ball into the bottom far corner past an outstretched John McCarthy.
Miami responded with a pair of scoring chances, starting in the 17th minute from a corner. Lewis Morgan floated the ball to the center of the box where Leandro González Pirez headed it on frame, but Brad Guzan was positioned well to make the save. Just a minute later, Morgan played a cross in from the right side that skipped through to Gonzalo Higuain who had a clean look at goal near the penalty spot, but Guzan again came up huge as he rushed out and denied the Argentine with a kick save. Guzan recorded a season-high six saves.
Miami eventually equalized in the 77th minute. Morgan received a pass on the right wing, split a pair of defenders while dribbling into the box and scored with a low shot to the near post. Alex De John and Erick Torres each put a shot on target late in the match, but neither troubled McCarthy as both sides split the points in their first meeting of the season.
Atlanta (1-2-1, 5 points) returns to action Saturday, May 15 against CF Montreal at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in the club's first full-capacity home match of the season (7:00 p.m., Bally Sports Southeast, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Atlanta United 1, Inter Miami CF 1
DRV PNK Stadium
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Shots: 16-14 Miami
Shots on Target: 6-5 Miami
Corner kicks: 9-2 Miami
Fouls committed: 25-15 Miami
Possession: 62-38 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 90-81 Atlanta
ATL - Josef Martínez (Emerson Hyndman, Jake Mulraney) 9' [HIGHLIGHT]
MIA - Lewis Morgan (Gregore) 77' [HIGHLIGHT]
MIA - Gregore (yellow) 6'
ATL - Marcelino Moreno (yellow) 22'
ATL - Erik Lopez (yellow) 62'
MIA - Leandro González Pirez (yellow) 70'
MIA - Jay Chapman (yellow) 80'
ATL - Erick Torres (yellow) 90'
MIA - Edison Azcona (yellow) 90+4'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan ©; Brooks Lennon, George Bello, Anton Walkes, Miles Robinson; Emerson Hyndman, Marcelino Moreno, Santiago Sosa; Erik López (Franco Ibarra - 67'), Josef Martínez (Erick Torres - 73'), Jake Mulraney (Alex De John - 73').
Substitutes not used: Mikey Ambrose, Jackson Conway, Ronald Hernández, George Campbell, Alan Franco, Ben Lundgaard.
INTER MIAMI CF STARTING LINEUP
John McCarthy; Brek Shea (Federico Higuaín - 57'), Ryan Shawcross, Leandro González Pirez, Victor Ulloa; Gregore, Blaise Matuidi © (Joevin Jones - 14'); Lewis Morgan (Edison Azcona - 81'), Jay Chapman (Sami Guediri - 81'), Rodolfo Pizarro; Gonzalo Higuaín.
Substitutes not used: Drake Callender, Joshua Penn, Christian Makoun, Dylan Castanheira.
Joe Dickerson (referee), Andrew Bigelow (assistant), Jose Da Silva, (assistant), Alyssa Nichols (fourth), Jorge Gonzalez (VAR), Jozef Batko (AVAR).
Josef Martínez scored his first goal of the season
Alex De John made his club debut
Brad Guzan made a season-high six saves
Emerson Hyndman and Jake Mulraney each recorded their first assist of the season
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 9, 2021
- Austin FC Lose 2-1 away at Sporting Kansas City - Austin FC
- Sounders FC Stays Unbeaten with Hard-Fought 2-1 Road Win at Portland Timbers - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fire to Travel to Washington, D.C. for Thursday Match Versus D.C. United at Audi Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Timbers Fall 2-1 to Seattle Sounders FC at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Draws 1-1 at Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Takeaways: Rapids Sparked by Acosta Wondergoal - Colorado Rapids
- Trio of Second Half Goals Sees Rapids Complete 3-2 Comeback - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Falls 3-2 in Colorado - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 2, LAFC 1 - Saturday, May 8, 2021 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York City FC
- Gabriel Heinze to miss Wednesday's match, Mariano Toedtli to serve as replacement
- Atlanta United Draws 2-2 vs. Philadelphia Union
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union
- Catie Griggs to Depart Atlanta United in July