Atlanta Silverbacks to Battle Miami FC Blues at Home on Friday
ATLANTA, GA - The Atlanta Silverbacks will take on the Miami FC Blues this Friday, August 8th at Atlanta Silverbacks Park. The meeting is the third between the clubs this season and will include the league's top two goal-scorers.
The Silverbacks' offense has been on fire recently, scoring nine goals in its past three games while taking down the Charleston Battery, Rochester Rhinos, and Vancouver Whitecaps in the same week. Charleston and Vancouver currently sit atop the USL-1 standings.
(Photo Caption: Atlanta midfielder Tony McManus makes a slide tackle against Vancouver. McManus' equalizer helped spur the Silverbacks to victory. Photo by Ron Holt.)
However, the Silverbacks (8-5-6) have yet to score against the Blues (5-8-8) this year, falling 0-1 in a U.S. Open Cup match, and in a 0-3 league fixture last Sunday.
In the impressive run, the Silverbacks jumped from eighth place to fourth in the standings. Atlanta will be looking to continue building momentum and staking itself a playoff spot. Yet, Miami has been difficult to beat recently, losing just twice in its last twelve matches.
A major reason has been the stellar play of Miami goalkeeper Josh Saunders. Saunders has recorded an impressive 11 shutouts, which ranks him first in the league. He also has maintained a 1.00 GAA.
The match will also feature the league's top goal scorers in Alex Afonso and Mac Kandji. Each has scored 10 goals on the year, and both will be fighting for sole possession of first place. Afonso tallied a goal and an assist in the last meeting between the teams.
Kandji, the current Player of the Week, has been vital in the Silverbacks' streak, scoring four goals, recording an assist, and setting up a penalty kick as well.
The Silverbacks will next travel to Canada for a rematch against the league-leading Vancouver Whitecaps on Sunday, August 10th.
For tickets or more information, please call 1-866-GO-BACKS or visit www.atlantasilverbacks.com.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from August 7, 2008
- Sounders upend Portland - Seattle Sounders
- Thunder Defeat First Place Charleston 2-1 - Minnesota Thunder
- Atlanta Silverbacks to Battle Miami FC Blues at Home on Friday - Atlanta Silverbacks
- Miami FC to face fired up Silverbacks on Friday - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
- RailHawks Prepare for Impact this Friday - North Carolina FC
- Impact Faces The Railhawks In Carolina Friday - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Silverbacks Stories
- Goal of the Year: Burgos Buries 2015 Honor
- Junior Delivers Team of the Week Performance in Finale
- Silverbacks Stall Fall Season Champions to Split Points
- Preview: Silverbacks to Close Regular Season vs. Ottawa
- Silverbacks Surge into Minnesota #MNUvATLÃ¢=9A=BD