Junior Delivers Team of the Week Performance in Finale
NEW YORK - A sizzling 4th minute free kick from Junior Burgos on Saturday in the regular season finale against Ottawa Fury FC still has the NASL buzzing. Burgos' masterpiece - the only Silverbacks goal in the 1-1 draw - was announced as one of the NASL's Play of the Week nominees on Monday, and it earned him his second Team of the Week honors (Fall Weeks 9 and 20) on Wednesday.
"All of these recognitions are truly humbling," Burgos said. "They mean so much, because it means that your opponents, coaches, the League and - most of all - the fans respect what you do. I'm happy to close the 2015 season with such a great memory."
Serving as the exclamation point to his week, Burgos - defending Goal of the Year champion - also saw one of his memorable free kicks nominated for the NASL Goal of the Year. His strike from distance against the San Antonio Scorpions in the Fall Season (Aug. 8, Week 6) is one of the league's top 10 goals of the year. Voting for the Goal of the Year closes at 7 p.m. on Wednesday.
The 27-year-old midfielder finished the season with four goals and six assists in 1,281 minutes since joining the Silverbacks in the Fall Season.
The Salvadorian rejoined the Silverbacks after 17 appearances with the Club in 2014. He scored six goals in a Silverbacks shirt, including three goals and three assists in Atlanta's historic Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup run that collected the scalps of Real Salt Lake and the Colorado Rapids. In 17 NASL and four Open Cup appearances with Atlanta, Burgos scored unstoppable strikes from distance against the Tampa Bay Rowdies, New York Cosmos, Real Salt Lake and two against Chattanooga FC.
His knack for goal scoring earned him eight caps with the Salvadorian National Team, where he scored a crisp header in a friendly against Nicaragua on Jan. 31, 2014. Burgos is the son of Salvadorian international Efrain Burgos Sr., who played professionally in El Salvador with Once Lobos, FAS, C.D. Atlético Marte, Isidro Metapan, Alianza and Guatemalan side Cobán Imperial.
Burgos joined Colombian side Jaguares de Córdoba with former Silverbacks teammate Junior Sandoval, appearing in two domestic competition matches following the 2014 season.
The Santa Ana, El Salvador, native was drafted 44th overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft, making a pair of appearances with Toronto FC. He was with Toronto when the Club raised the Canadian Championship in 2012.
• Discuss this story on the North American Soccer League message board...
North American Soccer League Stories from November 4, 2015
- Gordon Hartman Issues Statement - San Antonio Scorpions
- Stefano Pinho Named NASL Player of the Month - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
- Eddies' Corea Set to Join El Salvador for World Cup Qualifiers - FC Edmonton
- Aly Alberto Hassan Nets Final Team of the Week Honour this Season - Ottawa Fury FC
- Junior Delivers Team of the Week Performance in Finale - Atlanta Silverbacks
- Armada FC, Community First Credit Union Announce Launch of Armada Credit Card - Jacksonville Armada FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Silverbacks Stories
- Goal of the Year: Burgos Buries 2015 Honor
- Junior Delivers Team of the Week Performance in Finale
- Silverbacks Stall Fall Season Champions to Split Points
- Preview: Silverbacks to Close Regular Season vs. Ottawa
- Silverbacks Surge into Minnesota #MNUvATLÃ¢=9A=BD