Athletic Clinch First Playoff Berth
Hartford Athletic will play postseason soccer for the first time in club history after taking down Philidelphia Union ll three goals to nil.
Hartford started off on the front foot and it only took seven minutes to open the scoring. Ever GuzmÃ¡n worked the space on the left flank and delivered an inch-perfect set up for Alex Dixon. Dixon calmly dispatched a side-footed one time finish into the back of the net to put Athletic in front.
Seven minutes later Athletic doubled their lead. It was that man GuzmÃ¡n involved in the play again, his trademark pressing put the Union II defenders under pressure. The Union II defender bundled the ball into his own net to make it two-nil Hartford. Both teams swapped chances throughout the rest of the first half, and Hartford looked sharp with good combination play.
Hartford started the second half much like the first. Dixon and GuzmÃ¡n were causing all sorts of trouble and in the 57th minute, the continuous pressing worked again. A Union II defender got caught napping and Dixon stripped him off the ball. He collected and rounded the keeper and fired in to put Hartford three up!
A clean sheet and three goals wrapped up a great performance from the Boys in Green! With the victory, Athletic have cliched a playoff berth, with first place in the standings still up for grabs. Both teams have a quick turnaround as they'll head back to Dillon Stadium for a match at 7 PM on Wednesday night. Tickets are still available.
Wednesday night's match is our annual Match for a Cause sponsored by Stanley Black and Decker. Players will be wearing special jerseys which will be auctioned off. The bidding is already open, click here to bid on your favorite player's jersey!
Shots (On-Target): Hartford Athletic 8 (4) - 18 (3) Philadelphia
Corners: Hartford Athletic 3-4 Philadelphia
Fouls: Hartford Athletic 17-11 Philadelphia
Offsides: Hartford Athletic 4-0 Philadelphia
Possession: Hartford Athletic 46.1%-53.9% Philadelphia
Passing Accuracy: Hartford Athletic 71.0%-75.4% Philadelphia
Saves: Hartford Athletic 3-2 Philadelphia
8' - Alex Dixon (Ever GuzmÃ¡n) 0-1
13' - Own Goal 0-2
58' - Alex Dixon 0-3
34' - Dante Huckaby (Yellow)
44' - Sam Strong (Yellow)
90' - Tyreke Johnson (Yellow)
HARTFORD ATHLETIC STARTING LINEUP:
35 (GK) Parfait Mandanda; 25 (D) Idan Cohen (Arthur Rogers 66'), 24 (D) Sam Strong (Alex Lara 67'), 4 (D) Kevin Politz, 3 (D) Matheus Silva, 88 (MF) Tyreke Johnson; 10 (MF) Danny Barrera (Nicky Downs 75'), 80 (MF) Justin Haak, 23 (MF) Aiden Mesias (Mads JÃ¸rgensen 67'); 11 (F) Alex Dixon, 99 (F) Ever GuzmÃ¡n (Markus Naglestad 75')
PHILADELPHIA UNION II STARTING LINEUP:
1 (GK) Matt Freese; 60 (D) Nathan Harriel, 61 (D) Dante Huckaby, 42 (D) Jamoi Topey (Luis Flores 45'), 62 (D) Anthony Sorenson; 65 (MF) Jack McGlynn, 50 (MF) Brandan Craig, 70 (MF) Paxten Aaronson, 43 (MF) Steve Kingue (David RabadÃ¡n 63'), 59 (MF) Axel Picazo (Q. Sullivan 63'); 52 (F) Anges Kader (Caden Stafford 45')
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 20, 2020
- Battery Clinch Playoffs in 2-0 Win over Miami FC - Charleston Battery
- Athletic Clinch First Playoff Berth - Hartford Athletic
- Union II Uable to Find Net in 3-0 Setback to Hartford Athletic - Philadelphia Union II
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Sacramento Republic FC - September 20, 2020 - Tacoma Defiance
- Preview: Magic Number 3 - Hartford Athletic
- Phoenix Falls for the First Time at Home, 3-2, to San Diego - Phoenix Rising FC
- SD Loyal Continues Win Streak with Rubio Rubin "Hat Trick" - San Diego Loyal
- Real Monarchs Fall to El Paso Locomotive 1-0 - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Athletic Stories
- Hartford Athletic: 5 Takeaways from the USL Championship Club's 2020 Season
- Match for a Cause Raises over $19,000 for Boys & Girls Clubs of Hartford
- Saint Louis Goal at the Death Downs Hartford 1-0
- Preview: It's Playoff Time
- Tyreke Johnson Recalled by Southampton FC