Arizona Hotshots Game Notes
Sunday, February 10 | 6:00 p.m. | Sun Devil Stadium
- Tonight is the first game in Arizona Hotshots history and the final game of the first weekend in AAF history
- Tonight's game is the return of Dennis Erickson to Sun Devil Stadium. Coach Erickson was the head coach of Arizona State from 2007-11.
HEAD COACH: RICK NEUHEISEL
The Arizona Hotshots announced Rick Neuheisel as the head coach for the team's inaugural season May 18, 2018 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.
Neuheisel was born in Madison, Wisconsin and eventually moved to Arizona where he attended McClintock High School in Tempe. There, he was a varsity athlete in football, basketball, and baseball. In 1977, he led McClintock to a high school state championship in football.
As a walk on quarterback at UCLA, Neuheisel received his chance to start his senior season in 1983. He led the Bruins to first place in the Pac-10, and was named MVP in the Rose Bowl victory over Illinois.
Following his time at UCLA, Neuheisel bypassed the NFL Draft to join the newly minted United States Football League (USFL) where he joined the San Antonio Gunslingers for two seasons.
He returned to UCLA as a graduate assistant in 1986 and later served as the quarterbacks coach and wide receivers coach. after impressing, Neuheisel made the leap in 1984 where he served as the offensive coordinator for the University of Colorado following the departure of former Colorado head coach Bill McCartney. Neuheisel spent four seasons in Boulder amassing a 33-14 record.
Following his induction to the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame ahead of the 1999 game, Neuheisel was named the new head coach for the University of Washington. In four seasons, he led the Huskies to a 33-16 record, including a 2000 Pac-10 Championship title.
Neuheisel then briefly left college coaching to join the Baltimore Ravens where he served as the quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator.
In 2008, Neuheisel returned to his alma mater again to take over the head coaching duties. He would be the Bruins head coach until 2011. After his departure from UCLA, Neuheisel went on to join CBS Sports Network as a guest analyst for "Inside College Football." The next year, he joined Pac-12 Networks as a studio analyst and football game analyst.
Most recently, he's been an analyst for the pre-game show for SEC on CBS, "College Football Today." Neuheisel plans to continue with this role during the offseason for the Hotshots.
• Discuss this story on the Alliance of American Football message board...
Alliance of American Football Stories from February 6, 2019
- Arizona Hotshots Game Notes - Arizona Hotshots
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Arizona Hotshots Stories
- Arizona Hotshots Issue Statement on AAF Decision
- Arizona Hotshots QB John Wolford Becomes First to Earn Multiple Player of the Week Awards
- Commanders' Bausby, Hotshots' Wolford and Richardson Capture Week 7 AAF Honors
- Big Plays Earn Three Standouts Week 6 AAF Player of the Week Honors
- Arizona Hotshots Host Public Safety Salute and #19 Retirement Ceremony Sunday, March 3