Arena Football League Announces Return of the Orlando Predators Franchise to League
Today, the Arena Football League (AFL) announced the return of the Orlando Predators, which previously competed in the league from 1991 to 2016, where they captured two league titles in 1998 and 2000.
The franchise will be owned by renowned Central Florida entrepreneur John Cheney and the team will play all its home games at the Amway Center, which they share with the NBA's Orlando Magic. Prior to re-joining the AFL, the Predators previously spent the past five years competing in the National Arena League.
"I'm thrilled to bring back one of the AFL's most iconic teams back to the fold," Cheney said. 'The AFL is the premier league for competitive, arena football and we look forward to expanding on the historic legacy that Orlando previously established in this league."
As part of the transition from the NAL to the AFL, Shawn Knapp will continue to serve as the team's General Manager and Director of Operations. Knapp originally joined the team in 2019 to help on special events but came in a full-time capacity in 2022 to oversee the day-to-day operations of the organization as well as support game-day operations.
Under the previous AFL administration, the Predators were one of the league's most successful franchises, especially under the leadership of AFL legend - and former NFL head coach - Jay Gruden, who led them to 2 championships in a 4-year span.
"The excitement of Orlando Predators returning to the AFL is yet another example of our commitment to hand select the best of the best in Arena Football. We are extremely pleased that Orlando chose the AFL to continue their legacy in arena football." Says Commissioner Lee Hutton.
For more information on the Orlando Predators, please visit https:// www.orlandopredatorsfootball.com/or follow them on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from November 11, 2023
- Arena Football League Announces Return of the Orlando Predators Franchise to League - Orlando Predators
- Arena Football League Announces Highly Anticipated Return of the Albany Firebirds Franchise - Albany Firebirds
- Arena Football League Announces Long-Awaited Revival of the Voodoo Franchise to Louisiana - Louisiana Voodoo
- Arena Football League Continues League Growth with Introduction of the Nashville Franchise - Nashville Kats
- Arena Football League Announces Lowa Rampage Team Franchise - Iowa Rampage
- Philadelphia Soul Announce Return to the Arena Football League Kicking off in Spring 2024 - Philadelphia Soul
- Blu Canary Capital Partners with the Arena Football League (AFL) - AFL3
- Arena Football League Continues League Growth with Introduction of the Oregon Blackbears Franchise - Oregon Blackbears
- Arena Football League Announces Rapid City Marshals as the Latest Team to Join League's Franchise - Billings Outlaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Predators Stories
- Arena Football League Announces Return of the Orlando Predators Franchise to League
- Serious Injury Sustained During Predators vs. Empire Game
- Predators Bring Back Linebacker Jerimiah Spicer
- Predators Sign Local Quarterback Jabari Dunham
- Orlando Add All-NAL Receiver to Roster