Ambush Comeback Falls Short as Utica City Wins 8-5
St. Charles, MO - Despite a valiant comeback attempt, the St. Louis Ambush fell 8-5 to Utica City FC Saturday night at the Family Arena. The loss dropped the Ambush record to 5-6, while Utica improved to 8-2.
Utica City took a 3-0 lead in the first quarter on goals by Logan Robert, Nate Bourdeau and Slavisa Ubiparipovic. The Ambush answered with two seconds remaining in the period when Justin Stinson found the back of the net off a board pass from JT Thomas. The second frame was all UCFC as Bourdeau scored his second and Joey Tavernese also scored to give the visitors a 5-1 halftime lead.
Utica City picked right up in the second half where they left off in the first. Tavernese and Ubiparipovic got their second tallies of the contest to make the score 7-1. Mohamed Kenaway scored for UCFC early in the fourth quarter to give the visitors an 8-1 lead. The Ambush then attempted a comeback with player/coach Hewerton coming in as the sixth attacker and alternating with goalkeeper Paulo. Hewerton and Pepe scored with the sixth attacker in play, followed by a power play goal from Zach Reget to make the score 8-4 with just over five minutes remaining in the match. JT Thomas scored in the final minutes of play to make the score 8-4. The four consecutive Ambush goals spelled a valiant comeback effort, but it was not enough to dig their way out of the early hole they found themselves in and UCFC claimed the 8-5 victory. Ironically, it was the identical score the Ambush posted over Kansas City the night before.
Next for the Ambush is a respite from the St. Louis winter when they take a two-game road trip to Florida next weekend, On Friday, January 25, the Ambush tangle with the Orlando SeaWolves at 6:35 p.m. CT, then the next night, they duel the Florida Tropics at 6:05 p.m. Following those games, the Ambush welcome both Florida rivals to the Family Arena, hosting the Tropics on Friday, February 1 at 7:35 p.m. CT, then the SeaWolves on Saturday, February 2 at 7:05 p.m. CT. For those unable to attend in person, all MASL games are webcast live at masl.tv.
Group and single game tickets are on sale for all Ambush home games. For more information, call the Ambush office at 636-477-6363. Keep up to date on all Ambush news by following the official website, stlambush.com and on Facebook and Twitter.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Milwaukee Claims Victory on the Road over Florida Tropics, 10-9 - Milwaukee Wave
- Dallas Sidekicks Win on the Road - Dallas Sidekicks
- Ambush Comeback Falls Short as Utica City Wins 8-5 - St. Louis Ambush
- Late Rally Falls Short as Milwaukee Nips Tropics, 10-9 - Florida Tropics SC
- Utica City Snuffs out Ambush - Utica City FC
- Blast Defeat Heat 6-5 - Baltimore Blast
- Sockers Use a Brandon Escoto Hat-Trick to Shoot Down the Stars 9-4 - San Diego Sockers
- St. Louis Ambush Beat Comets 8-5 on the Road - St. Louis Ambush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Louis Ambush Stories
- St. Louis Ambush Sign Spiridon "Niko" Karidis
- St. Louis Ambush Sign Wildwood Native Mike Scharf to Two-Year Deal
- St. Louis Ambush Forward Zach Reget Earns MASL Rookie of the Year Award
- St. Louis Ambush Forward Reget Nominated for MASL Rookie of the Year
- St. Louis Ambush Close out Season with Overtime Loss