AEDs purchased with LSAFC proceeds by Wranglers Foundation
AUSTIN-The Austin Wranglers Foundation and the Lone Star Arena Football Classic selection committee and generous sponsors are pleased to announce that the proceeds from the inaugural game, which was held on February 23, 2007, will be used to purchase five Automated External Defibrillators (AED) for schools in the Austin and Wimberley Independent School Districts.
In what was "A Celebration of Football in Central Texas," the inaugural Lone Star Arena Football Classic featured high-school all-star football players, divided into competing teams from the north and south, playing in a game using Arena Football League rules. The game was created to honor the coaches, players, support staff, fans, parents and cheerleaders, who are of the utmost importance in the success of high school athletics.
The Lone Star Arena Football Classic selection committee assisted the Austin Wranglers Foundation in determining the schools that were in need of defibrillators to provide a safe environment for their student athletes.
A special presentation to recognize the recipient schools was held at the Austin Wranglers home finale on Saturday, June 9, during halftime of the game.
Presenting to the Austin ISD and Wimberley ISD representatives were Austin Wranglers President Doug MacGregor, General Manager Glyn Milburn, Wranglers Foundation Executive Director Gigi Edwards Bryant and First Sergeant Randall Paul of the United States Army.
Accepting on behalf of Austin High School, Bowie High School and the newly completed Garcia Middle School is Tommy Cowan from the AISD 125th Anniversary Committee.
Wimberley Head Football Coach and Athletic Director Weldon Nelms and Coach Jeff Whitehead, accepted on behalf of Wimberley High School and Wimberley Middle School.
The Austin Wranglers Foundation would like to thank everyone that supported the inaugural game and all of the corporate sponsors that through their participation, helped raise awareness on the importance of defibrillators, which will now help keep these schools safer.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from June 9, 2007
- Blaze come up short at home against San Jose, 70-49 - Utah Blaze
- Wranglers lose in home finale to Force, 81-64 - Austin Wranglers
- Georgia Force defeat Austin Wranglers 81-64 - Georgia Force
- SaberCats win 8th Straight; Top Blaze 70-49 - San Jose SaberCats
- Crush earn playoff berth - AFL I
- Tampa Bay Becomes Seventh Team to Earn Playoff Berth - Tampa Bay Storm
- Soul fall short in Tampa Bay, 69-59 - Philadelphia Soul
- Sippio returns with Six TDs to lead Rush past Rampage - Chicago Rush
- Rampage Playoff Hopes Fade with 55-32 Loss to Chicago - Grand Rapids Rampage
- AEDs purchased with LSAFC proceeds by Wranglers Foundation - Austin Wranglers
- Predators Clinch Playoff Berth - AFL I
- ESPN2 To Nationally Broadcast Monday Night's Showdown vs. Los Angeles - Arizona Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.