Aces fail to clinch, will try July 2
Alexandria, La. - The Alexandria Aces fail to clinch a playoff spot as the Laredo Broncos shutout the Aces for the first time this year 3-0 Saturday at Bringhurst Field. The San Angelo Colts lost to the Amarillo Dillas Saturday, opening the door for the Aces to clinch a playoff spot, but the starting pitching by the Broncos prevented the celebration. Great pitching was on display as both starters put on a clinic. Laredo starter and former Ace Santo Hernandez pitched eight scoreless innings while striking out 13. Aces starter Chad Linder pitched great through the first six innings only allowing two hits and not allowing a run. Luany Sanchez finally broke the scoreless tie in the seventh with a solo home run. Sanchez's homer was his ninth of the season. Linder finished the day with eight innings and striking out 11. The Broncos added two more in the ninth. With the bases loaded and one out, Luis Guance threw an errant flip to second to try to start a double play. The error allowed two runs to score and gave the Broncos a 3-0 lead. The Aces a few scoring chance throughout the game, but they were unable to capitalize on the opportunities. In the second, Alexandria had runners on first and second with two outs, but Albert Gonzalez struck out to end the inning. In the fifth, Guance grounded out to first to end the inning with runners on first and second. In the seventh, the Aces had runners on first and third with two outs. With the game tied 0-0, Eddie Fitzpatrick broke for second before the pitch to try to induce a rundown to allow the runner at second to score. During the rundown, Blake Butler broke for the plate, but he was thrown out by second baseman Matt Lawman to end the inning. The Aces will travel to San Angelo to play the Colts for a three-game series starting Sunday. The Aces will throw Ramon Portillo against the Colts' Luke Massetti. Game time is 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from June 28, 2008
- Dillas escape San Angelo with win, first-half title - San Angelo Colts
- The Coyotes Sweep Wings - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Two-Out Hits Sink WhiteWings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Aces fail to clinch, will try July 2 - Alexandria Aces
- Broncos Win Pitchers Duel in Series Finale - Laredo Broncos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th