8.29.17 Homers Power RailRiders Past Red Wings
Homers Power RailRiders Past Red Wings
Miguel Andujar Triples and Belts Ninth Triple-A Home Run
Moosic, Pa. - A day after clinching the International League North Division, the SWB RailRiders (Triple-A/ New York Yankees) turned in another strong performance on Tuesday night at PNC Field. The RailRiders (85-50) launched two homers and pummeled the Rochester Red Wings 8-1. The Red Wings fell to 77-59.
SWB got a solid spot start from Nestor Cortes (2-3). The southpaw pitched around seven hits to limit the Red Wings to a run over 5.2 innings. He walked one and struck out five. Joe Mantiply hurled three scoreless innings in relief and Tyler Jones retired the final batter.
Miguel Andujar began his big evening with his first Triple-A triple on a fly ball to right field. He scored on a sacrifice fly by Billy McKinney to give the RailRiders a 1-0 lead. Andujar came back in the third inning with a home run to left off Chris Heston (0-3) that scored Matt Holliday for a 3-1 advantage. The line drive to left as Andujar's ninth homer at Triple-A.
Wilkin Castillo got in on the act in the last of the fourth. The RailRiders' switch-hitting catcher clubbed a three-run blast out to right that scored McKinney and Donovan Solano for a 6-1 lead. Tyler Wade followed with a double. He later raced to third on a wild pitch and scored on a throwing error by catcher Carlos Paulino.
SWB capped the scoring in the fifth. McKinney doubled to left-center and came around on a bounding single to left by Solano.
Holliday served as designated hitter for all nine innings and finished 1-for-4 with a run scored.
The 2017 IL North Division Champion RailRiders go for a series win against the Rochester Red Wings (Minnesota Twins) on Wednesday, August 30 at 7:05 p.m. Right-hander Domingo German (6-2, 2.78) gets the nod. Every Wednesday home game at PNC Field is Wine and Dine Wednesday! For tickets or more information, please call 570-969-BALL (2255) or visit swbrailriders.com.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 29, 2017
- Knights Beat the Bulls 2-1 Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- 8.29.17 Homers Power RailRiders Past Red Wings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Buffalo Blanks Pawtucket, 4-0, Evens Series - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Houston Native Simms Helps Chiefs Beat IronPigs - Syracuse Chiefs
- Chiefs to Help with Harvey Relief with 50/50 Raffle, - Syracuse Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- Power bats, power arms pace RailRiders in series finale
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes
- Double Trouble: Second Inning Unravels RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes
- Hen Pecked: RailRiders drop opener 3-0