2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced
NEW YORK - Major League Soccer and U.S. Soccer today announced the MLS club qualification procedure for the 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
As announced by U.S. Soccer in February, eight U.S.-based MLS teams will qualify for the 2021 tournament. MLS and U.S. Soccer today confirmed that those eight teams will be determined by team performance through the first three weeks of MLS regular season play (April 16 through May 3).
The U.S.-based MLS clubs with the highest number of regular season points per game (three points for a win, one point for a tie) at the conclusion of the first three weeks of MLS play will qualify for the 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
In the event that two or more teams have an equal number of points per game, the below regular season tiebreakers will be used until one team ranks above the other(s). After the winner of the MLS regular season tiebreaker is determined, any remaining tied clubs will again go through a second round of the MLS tiebreakers in order to determine the next advancing club. The tiebreaker system will continue until qualification has been determined.
Goal Differential (GD) per match (Goals For per match minus Goals Against per match)
Goals For (GF) per match
Fewest Disciplinary Points* per match
Away Goals Differential per Away match (Away Goals For per Away match minus Away Goals Against per Away match)
Away Goals For per Away match
Home Goals Differential per Home match (Home Goals For per Home match minus Home Goals Against per Home match)
Home Goals For per Home match
Coin Toss (tie of two clubs) or Drawing of Lots (tie of three or more clubs)
Open Cup Committee Decides Not to Play Opening Round of 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
Citing challenges still in place due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and given the competition is played across the country involving clubs from multiple professional and amateur divisions and leagues, the U.S. Open Cup Committee announced today the decision not to hold the tournament's previously planned Opening Round.
The tournament is now structured to feature 16 teams which will play four rounds in pursuit of the 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup title.
2021 Tournament Format
As has been the case since 1996 when the Open Cup first included Major League Soccer clubs during the circuit's inaugural year, Division I teams will typically face lower division competition in their initial tournament game.
The 16 participating teams will be pooled on a geographic basis into groups of four, with each quartet consisting of two Division I teams and two lower division sides.
If multiple options are available for creating the groups, the composition will be determined by random selection. A draw will be conducted within each group so that each Division I team is paired against a lower division club. Teams that apply to host having a venue that meets minimum requirements will have hosting priority.
The Round of 16 Draw, scheduled for May 4, will also decide the pairings and home teams for the Quarterfinal Round while setting the bracket for the remainder of the tournament. A separate draw after the Quarterfinal Round will determine the Semifinal Round hosts and the priority order for hosting the 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 29, 2021
- Atlanta United Players Receive COVID-19 Vaccination - Atlanta United FC
- Millie and Gary Smith's Father-Daughter Dynamic Brings out the Best in Both - Nashville SC
- Colorado Rapids Loan Five Players to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Colorado Rapids
- Dave Romney Ready to Excel After 'Proving His Worth' in 2020 - Nashville SC
- MLS Qualification Procedure for 2021 US Open Cup Revealed - Colorado Rapids
- Orlando City SC Defender Kyle Smith Inked to New Deal - Orlando City SC
- 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced - Portland Timbers
- 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced - LA Galaxy
- 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced - Inter Miami CF
- 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced - Atlanta United FC
- 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced - D.C. United
- 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced - Nashville SC
- 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced - FC Cincinnati
- 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced - Chicago Fire FC
- 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Santiago Moreno
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Down LAFC 2-1 in Stoppage Time at Providence Park
- Timbers Record 1-0 Shutout Win against FC Dallas at Providence Park
- Claudio Bravo Named to U-23 Argentina Men's National Team Roster for Tokyo 2020 Olympics