2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled
Major League Baseball (MLB) has informed Minor League Baseball (MiLB) that it will not be providing its affiliated Minor League teams with players for the 2020 season. As a result, there will not be a Minor League Baseball season in 2020.
"These are unprecedented times for our country and our organization as this is the first time in our history that we've had a summer without Minor League Baseball played," said Minor League Baseball President & CEO Pat O'Conner. "While this is a sad day for many, this announcement removes the uncertainty surrounding the 2020 season and allows our teams to begin planning for an exciting 2021 season of affordable family entertainment."
Minor League Baseball, which began as the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues, was founded on Sept. 5, 1901.
Statement from International League President, Randy Mobley
The International League (the oldest league in all of Minor League Baseball) traces its history back to 1884, and it is with deep regret that I confirm that for the first summer in 137 years the League will play no games in 2020. Until just a few hours ago the League and its 14 member teams continued to plan and prepare for the possibility of playing a 60-game, shortened season. Due to the many COVID-19 related challenges that would accompany staffing team rosters for a two-month season, Major League Baseball has now advised that they will not be assigning players to the teams of Minor League Baseball in 2020.
Statement from Louisville Bats President, Vic Gregovits
While we are disappointed that we will not have Bats baseball at Louisville Slugger Field this summer, our first priority is the safety of our fans, players, and staff during these unprecedented times. We anxiously await the 2021 season, welcoming fans back to the ballpark, and the return of the words, "Play ball".
Fans who have purchased tickets for the 2020 season will begin receiving communication via email regarding their ticket purchase starting Wednesday, July 1. For any questions or concerns, please reach out to the Bats Front Office during normal business hours at [emailÂ protected] or by phone at (502) 212-2287.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 30, 2020
- PawSox Confirm Cancellation of 2020 Season - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Minor League Baseball 2020 Season Canceled - Indianapolis Indians
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled - Toledo Mud Hens
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled - Louisville Bats
- Bisons GM Anthony Sprague: "We Miss You, Bisons Fans." - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad - Gwinnett Stripers
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs 2020 Season Is Canceled - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled - Norfolk Tides
- Statement on 2020 IL Season - IL
- Official Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the 2020 Season - Charlotte Knights
- Buffalo Bisons Will Not Play in 2020 as Minor League Baseball Seasons Are Canceled - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings 2020 Season Cancelled - Rochester Red Wings
- MiLB's 2020 Season Cancelled - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.