Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad
Gwinnett County, GA - Minor League Baseball after consultation with Major League Baseball has determined, due to the continuing pandemic, that it is in the best interest of our fans, players, coaches, and club employees that we will not play a 2020 season. The Gwinnett Stripers season, scheduled to begin play on April 9, has been in a state of postponement due to safety concerns related to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The Braves also announced today that they would be sending their "Taxi Squad" players to Coolray Field in Gwinnett County to practice. The Taxi Squad will be a group of roughly 30 players on the Braves' expanded roster who can contribute to the Major League club if injuries or other situations arise where a player would need to be called up. It would also allow the team to play their top prospects, so they do not lose valuable developmental time.
Coolray Field will not be open to the public to maintain the highest standard of health and safety protocols for players and field staff.
"It's obviously disappointing that we aren't able to play a season this year at Coolray Field, but the health and safety of our fans, players, and staff is the number one priority of our organization," said Stripers Vice President & General Manager Adam English. "While we may not have a Stripers season, we are still proud to host the return of baseball to Gwinnett with the Braves' Taxi Squad team, and to continue to work toward 2021."
Fans with questions about refunds, exchanges, or rolling their balance to the 2021 season can contact the Stripers at [email protected] or by calling 678-277-0300. All public events will still need to adhere to local and state COVID-19 safety mandates.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 30, 2020
- PawSox Confirm Cancellation of 2020 Season - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Minor League Baseball 2020 Season Canceled - Indianapolis Indians
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled - Toledo Mud Hens
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled - Louisville Bats
- Bisons GM Anthony Sprague: "We Miss You, Bisons Fans." - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad - Gwinnett Stripers
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs 2020 Season Is Canceled - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled - Norfolk Tides
- Statement on 2020 IL Season - IL
- Official Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the 2020 Season - Charlotte Knights
- Buffalo Bisons Will Not Play in 2020 as Minor League Baseball Seasons Are Canceled - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings 2020 Season Cancelled - Rochester Red Wings
- MiLB's 2020 Season Cancelled - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Chris Young to Play Coolray Field's First-Ever Socially-Distant Concert on November 14
- Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule
- Reigning IL Manager of the Year Damon Berryhill Returns to Gwinnett