2015 Navigator Richie Fecteau Drafted By Los Angeles Angels In Round 39
The wait for Richie Fecteau is officially over. The 2015 North Shore Navigator had been waiting for days to hear his name called in the 2016 MLB Draft and on Saturday that moment finally came. After playing four years at Salem State, Fecteau will get to show off his talents at the professional level as he was drafted in the 39th round by the Los Angeles Angels. Fecteau was the 1,176th player chosen overall.
In 2016, Fecteau put together a stellar season and was one of the best players on the Salem State squad. Appearing in 46 games, all of which were starts, Fecteau batted a whopping .393 and was second on the team in home runs with six. He also led the team in walks with 24, on base percentage with a massive mark of .478, and was fifth in RBIs with 29. Needless to say, it was a great year for Fecteau and he was a big part of the reason that the Vikings were able to make the NCAA Division III tournament.
As a member of the Navigators in 2015, Fecteau had similar levels of success. Functioning as the team's every day starting second baseman and No. 3 hitter, Fecteau quickly developed into one of the better players on the team. He cracked a franchise record seven homers on the year and was named the MVP of the 2015 FCBL All Star Game. In addition to these accolades, he hit .301 on the season and helped propel the Navs to a franchise record 33 wins.
Landing with the Angels will be a great opportunity for Fecteau. He will have ample chances to climb the ladder in the organization, given that the Angels' aggressive philosophy over the past few years. They traded many of their top prospects for major league players, which has left the competition in their minor league system wide open.
Fecteau will look to become the third Navigator to ever play in the Major League, joining 2009 Navigator Sean Gilmartin, a member of the New York Mets, and Dominic Leone, who is currently a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Images from this story
Richie Fecteau with the North Shore Navigators
• Discuss this story on the Futures Collegiate Baseball League message board...
Futures Collegiate Baseball League Stories from June 12, 2016
- Rox Win in Extras off Blues' Error - Brockton Rox
- Bristol Blues Take out Suns with Help from Greene, 5-1 - Pittsfield Suns
- 2015 Navigator Richie Fecteau Drafted By Los Angeles Angels In Round 39 - North Shore Navigators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Shore Navigators Stories
- North Shore Navigators Field Manager Mike Odenwaelder Steps Down
- Navigators Announce Passing of General Manager Bill Terlecky
- North Shore Navigators Announce New Ownership Group
- Navigators Earn Major FCBL Awards
- North Shore Navigators General Manager Bill Terlecky Announces Retirement