14ers Sweep Season Series with Vipers
DENVER - March 12, 2009 - Two days after setting a new NBA Development record with 147 points in a win over Rio Grande Valley, the Colorado 14ers completed a season sweep of the Vipers with a 126-109 victory at the Broomfield Event Center Thursday night. Colorado won all seven meetings between the Southwest Division rivals, averaging 131.5 points per game against Rio Grande Valley this season.
For the third straight game the 14ers were led by Sonny Weems, who scored 26 points in 32 minutes of action. Weems and John Lucas combined for 33 second half points as the 14ers outscored the Vipers 34-15 in the fourth quarter to come from behind and take the victory.
The Colorado defense also showed up when it had to run their home court winning streak to nine consecutive games. The 14ers opened the fourth quarter on a 10-2 run and held Rio Grande Valley to just 6-21 shooting in the final period to close the door on the Vipers.
"In the first half we had eight defensive deflections and that's our low for the year," said 14ers head coach Bob MacKinnon. "In the fourth quarter alone we had 12 to 14 deflections so defense was the whole story for us late."
Lucas and Trey Gilder each finished with 20 points, while Josh Davis and Eddie Gill added double-double performances in another well-balanced effort for Colorado.
Rio Grande Valley was led by Jawad Williams 28 points, but he was held to just two in the final period when Colorado pulled away. Kurt Looby added 11 points, 15 rebounds, and five blocks in the loss for the Vipers.
Rio Grande Valley continues on the road visiting the Idaho Stampede in Boise on Saturday night. Colorado will play at Albuquerque on Saturday before returning home to face the Los Angeles D-Fenders in Broomfield on Sunday evening.
For more information on the 14ers schedule and team, log on to www.14ershoops.com. Tickets for all 14ers home games at the Broomfield Event Center are available at all Ticketmaster outlets, 303-830-TIXS, and at www.ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 12, 2009
- Colorado Sweeps Series Over Rio Grande Valley With 126-109 Win - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- 14ers Sweep Season Series with Vipers - Colorado 14ers
- Los Angeles Acquires Lawrence McKenzie - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- 14ers Remain Atop Power Rankings - Colorado 14ers
- Win a Trip To 2010 NBA All Star Weekend in Dallas - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- 66ers Out-Power Energy 108-107 in Overtime - Tulsa 66ers
- BayHawks Offer Chance at Signed Original Collectible Art - Erie BayHawks
- Nets Recall Sean Williams - Colorado 14ers
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- Bighorns defeat the Jam, at Last - Reno Bighorns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.