Quincy Carter returns with a vengeance
(Bossier City, LA) - Quarterback Quincy Carter made a convincing return to the Bossier-Shreveport line-up, throwing a franchise record eight touchdown passes to lead the BattleWings to an 81-35 win over the Corpus Christi Sharks. Carter, who had missed four consecutive games, completed 16 of 26 passes for 296 yards. He left the game in the fourth quarter to a rousing ovation. Gary Cooper, who started four games in Carter's absence, led the Wings to a touchdown on the one possession he played, capping it off with a scoring toss to Manwell Talbert. Talbert had three touchdown catches on the night, as did Jamaal Perry and P.J. Winston.
Corpus Christi led once in the game, 7-6 in the first quarter. Carter led the Battlewings to touchdowns on every first half possession. At halftime, Bossier-Shreveport led 45-14. Jason Schule, who leads af2 in rushing touchdowns, ran for one score. Chris Ibezam had a fumble recovery for a touchdown on a Corpus Christi kick-off return. Marvin Byrdsong also scored when he hit Sharks quarterback John De Los Santos on a pass attempt, forced a fumble, then picked up the ball and scampered 26 yards for the final touchdown of the night. The 81 points scored is the second-most in franchise history, topped only by an 82-point performance in 2001. Carter was named offensive player of the game. Defensive honors went to defensive end Elex Reed, who added to his league-leading sack total by getting to De Los Santos once in the game. Reed also recovered a fumble.
The BattleWings improve to 9-2 on the season, while Corpus Christi falls to 1-9.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from June 16, 2007
- Dawgz' streak comes to a close - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Fusion "D" Dominates in 52-34 Road Win Over Fire - Fort Wayne Fusion
- Shock fall to Fever 39-34 - Spokane Shock
- Twisters Ride Big First Quarter to Win - Arkansas Diamonds
- Quad City Steamwheelers Thunder Struck 63-34 by Mahoning Valley - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Quincy Carter returns with a vengeance - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Fire fall to Fusion - Louisville Fire
- Firecats Whip Wolves 49-27 - Florida Firecats
- Thunder defeat Quad City Steamwheelers 63-34 - Mahoning Valley Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.