FC Dallas Signs Draft Picks Tesho Akindele and Nicholas WalkerFebruary 27, 2014 - Major League Soccer (MLS) FC Dallas
The club selected Akindele with the sixth overall pick in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas, and then later added Walker in the third round.
A native of Thornton, Colo., Akindele played four seasons for the Colorado School of Mines where the 6'1" forward became the school's all-time goals leader with 76 goals scored. He ranked second in the nation in goals scored in 2012 with 22 and was named a First Team NSCAA All-American and the 2012 RMAC Offensive Player of the Year for his efforts. Also an NSCAA First Team All-American and the RMAC Freshman of the Year in 2010, Akindele was the first player in the history of his school's conference to score three consecutive hat tricks.
Walker, selected with the fifth pick in the third round (43rd overall), was a two-time all-North Atlantic region first team selection at Fairleigh Dickinson. The 24-year-old center back was also named 2013 Northeast Conference Defender of the Year as a senior. Walker started 69 of the 71 games he played as a four-year starter for the Knights. He finished his collegiate career with four goals.
FC Dallas opens the 2014 season at Toyota Stadium on March 8 against the Montreal Impact, presented by AdvoCare.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 27, 2014
- Experienced Additions Key to the LA Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- FC Dallas Signs Draft Picks Tesho Akindele and Nicholas Walker - FC Dallas
- Red Bulls Tim Cahill and Roy Miller Called up for International Duty - New York Red Bulls
- Crew's Giancarlo Gonzalez and Waylon Francis Earn International Call-Ups - Columbus Crew SC
- Bradley Called into United States National Team - Toronto FC
- Revolution to Host Pair of Season Opener Watch Parties - New England Revolution
- Dempsey Called into U.S. National Team - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution Signs Midfielder Alec Sundly - New England Revolution
- San Jose Earthquakes Loan Bingham, Garza to San Antonio Scorpions - San Jose Earthquakes
- Tickets Now on Sale for "Cheers to the Rapids" - Colorado Rapids
- Preseason Match 4: Crew 4 - Orlando City 4 - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake FW Alvaro Saborio Called up to Costa Rican National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC Confirms Kickoff Time for Tottenham Friendly - Seattle Sounders FC
- First Game of the Season Viewing Party on Tap - Montreal Impact
- Chivas USA Waive Midfielder Carlo Chueca - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Revolution Announces 2014 Broadcast Schedule and On-Air Talent - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Clorox Signs Multiyear Partnership with Soccer United Marketing - MLS
- Draw with Orlando City SC a Test of Black & Gold's Character - Columbus Crew SC
- Alessandro Nesta Joins Impact Technical Staff as a Consultant - Montreal Impact
- Timbers Earn 1-1 Draw against Jamaican Side Portmore United in Preseason Play - Portland Timbers
- Final: Revs 1, Fire 0 - New England Revolution
- Rowe's Late Strike Makes Clean Sheet Stand up in Preseason Win - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.