Hamilton Bulldogs Support You Can Play ProjectMarch 12, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) Hamilton Bulldogs
The Bulldogs have joined other AHL teams who have come out in support of You Can Play, a non-profit organization begun by former Toronto Maple Leafs General Manager Brian Burke and his son Patrick, to fight homophobia in sports in memory of Brendan Burke, Brian's son and Patrick's brother, who was killed in a car accident in 2010. The team created a video with members of the Bulldogs reciting the You Can Play pledge, as well as having signed the pledge which will be displayed around Copps Coliseum and the Bulldogs' dressing room.
"We are proud to join other American Hockey League teams in support of the You Can Play Project," said Ostaszewicz. "We feel this is an important initiative which conveys a positive message that can make our arena, community and city a better place to play, grow and live."
"We are tremendously grateful to the Hamilton Bulldogs organization for their support of You Can Play," said You Can Play President Patrick Burke. "The players and management have gone above and beyond by having a gay hockey player come in to address the team in addition to filming their video. This shows that the Bulldogs are committed to ensuring that their fans know the words in the Pledge have real meaning."
You Can Play is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to ensuring equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation or gender identity. You Can Play works to guarantee that athletes are given a fair opportunity to compete, judged by other athletes and fans alike, only by what they contribute to the sport or their team's success. You Can Play seeks to challenge the culture of locker rooms and spectator areas by focusing only on an athlete's skills, work ethic and competitive spirit.
The Bulldogs' next game is against the IceCaps in St. John's on Friday, March 15th at 6:00 p.m. All 'Dogs games will be broadcast on Hamilton's Funny 820 (AM 820). Fans can also listen to and watch all 'Dogs games on www.hamiltonbulldogs.com. Live coverage with the broadcast team of Play-By-Play Announcer Derek Wills (all home and away games) and Colour Commentator Al Craig (all home and select away games) will begin with the Pioneer Pre-Game Show 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start time.
For more information on how to join the Hamilton Bulldogs' team by becoming a season ticket holder, or for more information on Flex Pack tickets or group tickets, call 905-529-8500 or 1-866-DOGS-TIX, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.hamiltonbulldogs.com. 'Dogs single-game tickets are available at the Copps Coliseum Box Office, any Ticketmaster Outlet, online at www.ticketmaster.ca, or by calling 905-529-8500 or 1-866-DOGS-TIX.
American Hockey League Stories from March 12, 2013
- Sound Tigers Defeat Falcons 3-2 in Overtime - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Weber Nets First Pro Goal In Falcons' Overtime Loss - Springfield Falcons
- Erik Gustafsson Loaned to Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hayes Recalled, Montador Joins Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Minnesota Trades Kassian to Ottawa - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Pit Four-Game Winning Streak against Division Rivals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Oilers Assign Anton Lander to Oklahoma City - Oklahoma City Barons
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Youds and Froese Swap Spots - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Release Forward Stephen Schultz from PTO - Binghamton Senators
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Mascot Mania, St. Patrick's Celebration and More Ahead this Weekend for B-Sens Fans - Binghamton Senators
- Matthew Ford Traded to Columbus Organization - Adirondack Phantoms
- Blue Jackets Acquire RW Matthew Ford from Flyers in Exchange for Future Considerations - Springfield Falcons
- Boston Bruins Alumni Team to Play at MassMutual Center - Springfield Falcons
- Fournier Reassigned to Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs Reveal Theme for 14th Annual Jersey Auction - Rockford IceHogs
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Wolves Sign Jeremy Price to ATO - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Weekly - Stars Cling to Western Conference Lead - Texas Stars
- Hamilton Bulldogs Support You Can Play Project - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Coyotes Recall Summers from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Worcester Sharks Host 3rd Annual Job Fair on March 15 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Martin Joins Heat, Tuzzolino Returned to Utah - Abbotsford Heat
- The Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Red Wings Summon Nyquist, Assign Tatar - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wild Reassigns Granlund to Houston - Houston Aeros
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Bridgeport, Game #58 - Springfield Falcons
- Lightning Reassign Goaltender Cedrick Desjardins To Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Capitals Recall Schilling from Hershey - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.