Center Justin Maylan, Thunder Agree to TermsSeptember 20, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Stockton Thunder
Maylan, 21, is set to skate in his first full professional season with the Thunder after posting over a point per game in his last two junior seasons and getting his pro start at the AHL level with the Portland Pirates.
"Justin is another skilled forward that will contribute right away," said Thomas. "He will give our power play a boost and fit in well with our group of forwards."
Maylan skated in one AHL game last season and made his pro debut with Portland on Mar. 25 against Providence.
The 6-foot-1 and 170 pound forward also led the Prince Albert Raiders of the Western Hockey League in points (89) and ranked seventh in the league with 63 assists (team leader) in 72 games last season, additionally ranking third on the Raiders with 26 goals. He posted career highs in all three scoring categories and was one of the recipients of the team's Three Star Awards.
Maylan combined for 158 points in 138 games over his final two WHL seasons and earned 255 points (87g-168a) in 331 career games with Prince Albert, Prince George and Moose Jaw.
The Calgary, Alberta native is set to reunite with a former junior teammate after skating with Thunder defenseman Nathan Deck in Prince Albert.
"It's exciting to hear about the opportunities in Stockton with developing as a professional and playing in a winning environment," said Maylan. "The conversations this summer with Matt Thomas - who I'm thrilled to play for - were enjoyable and Nathan Deck had nothing but great things to say about the organization. I can't wait to start contributing offensively and help the team go even deeper in the postseason."
Opening Night is Friday, Oct. 12 when the Thunder launches the 2012-13 season and the ECHL's 25th Anniversary campaign at home against the Ontario Reign starting at 7:30 p.m. at Stockton Arena.
A two time recipient of the ECHL "Award of Excellence," the Thunder led the ECHL in attendance for four consecutive seasons and drew over 200,000 fans for the seventh consecutive season in 2011-12. Season Tickets for 2012-13 are on sale now. For more information about tickets, merchandise, or other inquiries contact the Stockton Thunder offices at (209) 373-1500 or visit http://www.stocktonthunder.com/.
ECHL Stories from September 20, 2012
- Center Justin Maylan, Thunder Agree to Terms - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Return to Fox Sports 970am and iHeartRadio - Bakersfield Condors
- Greenville Road Warriors Announce Andy Zilch as Media Relations Manager and Broadcaster - Greenville Road Warriors
- Cyclones Single Game Tickets on Sale Tomorrow - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Unveil 10th Anniversary Commemorative Logos - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Solar Bears Add Blair, Palmisano - Orlando Solar Bears
- Denny Kearney Sent to Utah - Trenton Titans
- Forward Andrew Cherniwchan Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Stalwart Veterans Nelson & Schneekloth Back for Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Nailers to Hold Auditions for Promotional Shoot - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Announce 2012 Training Camp Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.