Sparks Forward Nneka Ogwumike Named Player of the WeekSeptember 17, 2012 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) Los Angeles Sparks
The WNBA Player of the Week presented by Boost Mobile award is the second of Ogwumike's career. She previously earned the honor in week three of the season. Ogwumike also earned the WNBA Rookie of the Month award in May, July, and August.
In leading the Sparks to home wins over Chicago (88-77) and Connecticut (93-82), Ogwumike helped Los Angeles extend its record to 22-10, second best in the Western Conference. Ogwumike opened the week with a career-high 30-point outing in an 86-77 defeat of the Sky, in which she also logged game-highs of 11 rebounds and two blocks. That effort marked her eighth double-double of the season, tops among the current rookie class and tied for fifth overall with Indiana's Tamika Catchings.
The Stanford University product followed that up with 17 points, eight boards and three assists as Los Angeles downed the Eastern Conference-leading Sun.
With two games left on the Sparks' regular season schedule, Ogwumike, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 WNBA Draft, leads all rookies in scoring (13.8 ppg), rebounds (7.4 rpg), and blocks (.94 bpg), while ranking second in field goal percentage (.526 on 163-of-310 shooting from the field).
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 17, 2012
- Sparks Host Breast Health Awareness Night on September 18 at Staples Center - Los Angeles Sparks
- Sun Playoff Tickets on Sale Wednesday - Connecticut Sun
- Pondexter Earns Player of the Week Nod - New York Liberty
- Liberty's Pondexter and Sparks' Ogwumike Earn Weekly Honors - WNBA
- Sparks Forward Nneka Ogwumike Named Player of the Week - Los Angeles Sparks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.