Whitecaps' Comeback Soured By Walk-Off LossAugust 16, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) West Michigan Whitecaps
West Michigan (25-27, 61-61) was ultimately done in by 13 runners left on base and was hampered in their comeback bid by going just 1-for-14 with runners in scoring position. South Bend (26-25, 61-60) also benefitted by a trio of spectacular diving catches by corner outfielders that helped them stave off the hard-charging Whitecaps.
West Michigan was behind 4-0 when the comeback began in the sixth inning.
With the bases loaded with nobody out, Jason Krizan got the Whitecaps on the board with a fielder's choice groundout that scored Jeff McVaney from third base. The rally was halted abruptly, however, when Brandon Loy bounced into an inning-ending double play.
The 'Caps did not score again until the eighth, when Krizan started a rally with a two-out walk and Loy singled him to third. Zach Maggard followed by drilling a two-run double off the wall in right-center to cut the deficit to 4-3. The inning ended moments later when Chad Wright sliced a potential game-tying hit down the left field line, only to watch Kerry Jenkins race over and make a sliding catch just inside the foul line.
West Michigan evened the score in the ninth thanks in part to three walks by South Bend's Jake Barrett, including a bases-loaded free pass to Lance Durham that forced in the game-tying run.
But with the bases loaded and one out, the Whitecaps could not add the go-ahead tally. On a 2-0 pitch, Krizan chased a high fastball and popped out to the shortstop. Loy followed by squaring up a liner to right, but Tom Belza raced to his left and made a spectacular diving catch to strand the bases loaded and maintain the 4-4 tie.
After Jenkins made another stellar sliding catch to take an extra-base hit away from Maggard in the top of the 10th, the Silver Hawks' left fielder completed his tremendous night in the bottom of the inning.
Jenkins capped a 3-for-4, two-RBI day at the plate with a one-out single in the bottom of the 10th and proceeded to steal second base with two outs in the inning. That put him in scoring position for Eric Groff, who poked a 2-2 single into center field to plate Jenkins for the 5-4, walk-off win.
Will Clinard (0-1) suffered the loss after entering the game in the 10th inning and allowing the decisive run.
Kaleb Fleck (4-2) was rewarded with the win after throwing 1.2 scoreless innings of relief, including the final two outs of the ninth inning with the Whitecaps threatening to take the lead.
The Whitecaps conclude their three-game road series against the South Bend Silver Hawks on Friday night at 7:35 p.m. RHP Marcelo Carreno (6-8, 3.59) is scheduled to take the hill for West Michigan against LHP Keith Hessler (2-1, 2.60) of South Bend. The next home game at Fifth Third Ballpark will be on Saturday, August 18, at 7:00 p.m. with promotions including Racing Night, a pre-game t-shirt giveaway, and a spectacular post-game fireworks show. Group and individual tickets can be reserved by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
Midwest League Stories from August 16, 2012
- Whitecaps' Comeback Soured By Walk-Off Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rattlers hold on to beat Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Lose 4-0 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Fall Despite 9th Inning Rally - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits roll Kernels, 8-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Outpaced by Hot Rods - Great Lakes Loons
- Groff's Tenth-Inning Knock Lifts Hawks - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Markel Continues Surge, Hot Rods Win in Great Lakes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- River Bandits Keep Hot Streak against Kernels in 8-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Diaz, Arias Lead Dragons to 12-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Even Series, Beat Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Lugnuts fall, 2-0, in rain-shortened shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Slug Captains 12-6 - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Win 2-0, Secure Series Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- LumberKings At-Bat against Traumatic Brain Injuries - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Gameday for August 16 - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Announce "Kings of the Diamond" Softball Tournament - Clinton LumberKings
- Track the Backwoods of Bowling Green at the Ballpark - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees to Welcome Three Millionth Fan - Burlington Bees
- Two Big Innings Lift LumberKings in Kane County - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Beat Peoria, 5-1 - Burlington Bees
- Snappers Win in Slug Fest 13-10 over Wisconsin - Beloit Snappers
- Snappers outslug Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.