River Bandits roll Kernels, 8-1August 16, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Cedar Rapids Kernels
The River Bandits scored twice in the 2nd with three straight runners reaching base. David Medina walked and scored from first base on Matt Williams' team-high 5th triple of the season. The Quad Cities shortstop would then score on a Nick Martini single. Nick Longmire scored for the River Bandits in the top of the 3rd after he singled, moved two bases on wild pitches, and scored on a fielder's choice.
The Kernels got on the board in the bottom of the 6th when Andy Workman followed up Eric Stamets lead-off double with an RBI double. The home team failed to make the game closer, though, eventually left the bases loaded at the end of the inning. The Kernels also left the sacks packed at the end of the 1st inning.
The St. Louis Cardinals 2012 1st round pick Stephen Piscotty added a run in the top of the 7th with his first professional triple, which scored Colin Walsh from first base. Piscotty would later score on a Medina RBI single to put the game at its final score.
Austin Wood (5-12) took a loss in his 3rd start of the year against the Quad Cities. The right-hander went 5 full innings and struck out five River Bandits. Southpaw Dail Villanueva (9-6) earned a victory for the Quad Cities in a 5.1 inning start. Next: Friday, August 17 - 6:35 p.m. vs. Quad Cities River Bandits (Cardinals)---Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium
Pitching Matchup: RHP Frank De Jiulio (4-4, 5.91) vs. Quad Cities RHP Boone Whiting (0-0, 0.00)
Promotions: Enjoy a post-game fireworks show, thanks to Bank of the West! The 1st 1,000 fans through the gates receive a free green reusable bag from 7G Distributing! The Kernels Go Green so wear your favorite green gear to the game and enjoy green draft beer from the concession stands! It's another Friday Mug Club so enjoy a 16 oz. mug of domestic draft beer for only $5.00 and get refills for $2.50, presented by Sip N Stir with media sponsor 98.1 KHAK!
Get your tickets now! Tickets are available online at www.kernels.com . The ticket office at Veterans Memorial Stadium is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday. Morgan Hawk brings you the live action on the radio home of Kernels baseball, KMRY. Listen at 1450 AM or 93.1 FM, as well as www.kernels.com and www.kmryradio.com.
Midwest League Stories from August 16, 2012
- Whitecaps' Comeback Soured By Walk-Off Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rattlers hold on to beat Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Lose 4-0 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Fall Despite 9th Inning Rally - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits roll Kernels, 8-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Outpaced by Hot Rods - Great Lakes Loons
- Groff's Tenth-Inning Knock Lifts Hawks - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Markel Continues Surge, Hot Rods Win in Great Lakes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- River Bandits Keep Hot Streak against Kernels in 8-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Diaz, Arias Lead Dragons to 12-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Even Series, Beat Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Lugnuts fall, 2-0, in rain-shortened shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Slug Captains 12-6 - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Win 2-0, Secure Series Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- LumberKings At-Bat against Traumatic Brain Injuries - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Gameday for August 16 - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Announce "Kings of the Diamond" Softball Tournament - Clinton LumberKings
- Track the Backwoods of Bowling Green at the Ballpark - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees to Welcome Three Millionth Fan - Burlington Bees
- Two Big Innings Lift LumberKings in Kane County - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Beat Peoria, 5-1 - Burlington Bees
- Snappers Win in Slug Fest 13-10 over Wisconsin - Beloit Snappers
- Snappers outslug Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.