Liberty Extend Contract of Plenette PiersonAugust 16, 2012 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) New York Liberty
"Plenette is a hard-nosed, smart, and passionate player. She has shown that she is a true New Yorker at heart, and we are thrilled that she will be continuing her career with the Liberty," said Whisenant.
Pierson is averaging 11.2 points and 4.9 rebounds, including two point-rebound double-doubles over 10 games (nine starts) this season, her second with the Liberty. Last season, she averaged a career high 12.9 points and second-best 5.2 rebounds per game over 33 starts. She was acquired by the Liberty from the Tulsa Shock on June 14, 2010.
Pierson holds career averages of 9.4 points and 4.2 rebounds over 21.8 minutes in 272 games (84 starts) over nine seasons with the Phoenix Mercury, Detroit/Tulsa and New York. As a member of the Shock, Pierson won two WNBA Championships (2006, 2008) and was awarded the first-ever WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year award in 2007. She was originally selected in the first round (fourth overall) of the 2003 WNBA Draft.
Single game tickets for Liberty home games at Prudential Center in Newark, NJ can be purchased by calling 212-465-6766 or by visiting NYLiberty.com. The Liberty are calling Prudential Center home for their 2012 season, the second of three seasons while Madison Square Garden continues its historic, top-to-bottom Transformation. Prudential Center is conveniently located 15 minutes away from The Garden by train.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from August 16, 2012
- Sun Casting Community Spotlight on Special Olympics Connecticut - Connecticut Sun
- Liberty Extend Contract of Plenette Pierson - New York Liberty
- Lynx to Wear Commemorative Breast Health Awareness Jerseys on Sunday, August 19 - Minnesota Lynx
- Elizabeth Cambage Returns to Tulsa on August 27th - Tulsa Shock
- WNBA Spot Features U.S. Women's Basketball Olympic Gold Medalists - WNBA
- Liberty Announce Marketing Partnership with Majesco Entertainment - New York Liberty
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.