Gausman, Coffey Shut Down SpikesAugust 6, 2012 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Aberdeen IronBirds
With Kevin Gausman set to make his pro debut in State College, the IronBirds gave the first rounder some runs to work with. The Birds plated three runs on four hits in the first. CF Anthony Vega led off the game with a single through the right side of the infield. After Vega stole second, 2B Creede Simpson singled to left. RF Lucas Herbst drove both Vega and Simpson in with a double to right field off RHP Clario Perez. The hit parade continued as SS Joel Hutter doubled down the right field line. Herbst scored on the play to give Aberdeen at an early three-run lead. Hutter's double extended his hitting to streak to 10 games.
Three runs turned out to be plenty for the IronBirds staff. Kevin Gausman retired all nine batters he faced in his professional debut. Gausman struck out Walker Gourley and David Valesente in succession to end the first inning and pitched to contact for the final six outs.
Gausman threw 31 pitches, 23 strikes, on the night and finished up with two strikeouts.
LHP Cameron Coffey piggybacked Gausman and picked up where the first rounder left off. Coffey matched a season-high with five innings of work and only allowed one run on two hits while striking out three and walking two.
Tommy Winegardner closed out Monday's game with a perfect ninth inning as Winegardner notched his fourth save of the season.
Coffey (2-5) picked up the win for the IronBirds while Clario Perez (0-3) got the loss.
The IronBirds will head back to Aberdeen on Tuesday and will begin a three-game series against the Tri-City ValleyCats. LHP Lex Rutledge (0-0, 13.50) will make his second start of the year for the IronBirds while the ValleyCats will turn to RHP Vince Velazquez (4-1, 2.55). First pitch from Ripken Stadium is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. with coverage beginning at 6:50 p.m. on the IronBirds Radio Network.
New York-Penn League Stories from August 6, 2012
- Vasquez Flashes Leather, But Spikes Drop 4-1 Decision - State College Spikes
- Cutters suffer sweep to Connecticut Tigers - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Vermont Rallies Late For 4-3 Win Over Batavia - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Vazquez, Cortez Help Tigers to Sweep - Connecticut Tigers
- Gausman, Coffey Shut Down Spikes - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Connecticut Tigers Home Stand August 7-9 - Connecticut Tigers
- State College Spikes Game Notes - August 6 vs. Aberdeen - State College Spikes
- Spinners Complete Sweep as Pitching Shines Again - Lowell Spinners
- International Camporee Visitors to Attend Tigers Game on August 9 - Connecticut Tigers
- Spikes to Pay Tribute to Pirates' Lucky Sign with Salute to Zoltan Tonight - State College Spikes
- Scrappers Homestand - August 7-8 - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.