Sounds Lose to Fresno in Extras, 4-3August 3, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Nashville Sounds
With one out in the inning and Amaury Rivas (4-7) on the mound, Fresno pinch hitter Ydwin Villegas doubled to center field and scored the go-ahead run on the next play on Lollis' game-winning two-bagger.
Snapping a three-game winning streak, it was Nashville's (51-62) second extra-inning game in a row and eleventh this season (5-6 in those contests).
In his second Triple-A start and first since rejoining the Sounds after being optioned last week by the Brewers, Tyler Thonburg allowed three hits and two walks over five scoreless frames. The right-hander also struck out seven with 75 pitches (52 strikes) in a no-decision.
Fresno starter Eric Hacker also tossed a no-decision, striking out four while giving up three hits in seven scoreless innings.
The game was scoreless until the Grizzlies took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the sixth. Reliever Donovan Hand entered the game and allowed a one-out walk to Todd Linden, who moved to scoring position on a passed ball. Brock Bond then hit an RBI single to right field to score Linden.
The Sounds struck back to take a 3-1 in the visiting half of the eighth. Grizzlies reliever Dan Runzler recorded the first two outs of the frame before allowing a couple of walks to outfielders Caleb Gindl and Khris Davis. Third baseman Taylor Green tied the game with an RBI single to left field, followed by a two-run base hit by first baseman Jordan Brown.
Nashville briefly led, as the Grizzlies came back to tie the game at 3-3 in the next frame, plating two runs against three Sounds relievers. Bond delivered another RBI single, followed by a run-scoring line drive hit by Tyler LaTorre, both with two outs.
The Sounds and Grizzlies continue their series at 9:05 p.m. CT on Friday evening at Chukchansi Park. Nashville right-hander Hiram Burgos (0-0, 3.00) makes his second Triple-A start against Fresno righty Andrew Kown (4-6, 5.88).
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 3, 2012
- Round Rock wins 8-7 - Tucson Padres
- Chasers Fall 5-3; Five Game Win Streak Snapped - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs Fall to Salt Lake - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Skaggs Dominant in 5-3 Aces' Victory - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Rally Past Tucson 8-7 - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Drop Seventh Straight - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes: August 3, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Coleman Rejoins Iowa, Parker Rehabs with I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Reno Aces Aim to Beat the Heat with Hot Doggest Nights - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Tucson Padres - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Name LHP Brooks Raley Minor League Pitcher of the Month - Iowa Cubs
- Rainiers, Union Bank Hit a Home Run for Area Youth - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Lose to Fresno in Extras, 4-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Roughed Up By RedHawks, 7-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ely Resilient in 8-5 'Topes Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Cowgill Powers River Cats Past Redbirds, 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- RedHawks Snap Skid in 7-1 Victory - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Salt Lake rallies for win - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees Sting Zephyrs, Snap Seven Game Win Streak - New Orleans Zephyrs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.