Chiefs Lose 10-4 SaturdayJuly 28, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Peoria Chiefs
The Chiefs were on the board in the bottom of the first against Tyler Jones. Zeke DeVoss started the inning with a walk and stole second base. Javier Baez grounded a ball to Tyler Grimes who threw wildly to first allowing DeVoss to score for a a 1-0 Peoria lead. On a two-out offering from Jones, Paul Hoilman lined a single to left field to bring home Baez and increase the lead to 2-0.
In the top of the second, Beloit was able to cut the lead in half against Starling Peralta. Kennys Vargas tripled on a fly ball to right-center to lead off the inning and Matthew Koch grounded out to short to score Vargas and make the score 2-1.
The Snappers grabbed the lead in the top of the third with one swing of the bat. Wang-Wei Lin singled to left field and after a walk by Miguel Sano, Drew Leachman loaded the bases as he reached on an error by Baez. Vargas stepped up to the plate and on a first-pitch offering from Peralta, he launched a ball into the right field picnic tables for a grand slam which gave the Snappers a 5-2 advantage.
Peoria was able to get to Jones in the bottom of the seventh. Bijan Rademacher singled to start the frame and moved to second on a Yaniel Cabezas base hit. A wild pitch by Jones moved both runners into scoring position and Sergio Burruel singled to score Rademacher making the score 5-3. Tim Atherton came on in relief for Jones and walked DeVoss to load the bases. Chen lifted a sacrifice fly into left field to score Cabezas and put the Chiefs within one at 5-4. With Baez up to bat, the pitch was bounced in the dirt and Burruel was out trying to advance to third to end the inning.
Beloit broke open the game against Luis Liria in the top of the ninth. Liria walked Vargas to start the inning and Koch singled to center field. Stephen Wickens bunted both runners into scoring position and a Jairo Rodriguez single scored Vargas to make the score 6-4. Grimes followed with a walk to load the bases and Nate Roberts singled home Koch and Beloit led 7-4. On the Roberts single, Rodriguez was gunned down at the plate for the second out. Pete Levitt came replaced Liria and was greeted by a Lin double to score Grimes and push Beloit's lead to 8-4. Roberts and Lin were plated on a bloop single by Sano and the Snappers led 10-4.
Peralta (3-6) took the loss for the Chiefs. He pitched five innings and allowed five runs, four earned, on five hits with six strikeouts and two walks. Jeff Antigua pitched two perfect innings of relief and he struck out two. In 1 2/3 innings of work, Liria allowed four runs on three hits and three walks with one strikeout. Levitt allowed one run in 1/3 of an inning on two hits and a walk with one strikeout.
Casey's General Store Player of the Game - Sergio Burruel (C) - Burruel was the bright spot of the Chiefs line up Saturday night as he collectd two hits and an RBI in four trips to the plate. The performance raised his batting average to .250 for the season.
Midwest League Stories from July 28, 2012
- Errant Throw Gives Fort Wayne Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Lose 10-4 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Solve Whitecaps on Saturday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Nine Hits But Not Enough Runs - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Taylor Provides Another Walk-Off Winner for Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Win on Great Lakes' Late Miscue - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Pop Kernels, 6-1 - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Roar Back for Win - Kane County Cougars
- Gallego Tallies Four Hits in Hawks Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- River Bandits Lose Fourth Straight on Another Walk-Off - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Streaking LumberKings top Rattlers on a walkoff single - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hobson Drives Lugnuts To 9-5 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Escape with One Run Win - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Battle Back But Fall 6-5 at Lake County - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Bees Make Roster Moves - Burlington Bees
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for July 31-August 3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Great Lakes Drops Series in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Baez's blast downs Kernels, 3-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.