Mallards and Rafters Set to Decide SeriesJuly 28, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Madison Mallards
On Friday the Rafters bounced back from an ugly home loss in the series opener to take a 5-4 road win and even up the series with the Mallards. After each team scored four runs in the first inning, it was a solo homer by Rafters right fielder Brandon Downes (Virginia) in the fifth inning that proved to be the difference.
On the hill tonight for the Mallards is right-hander Matt LaMothe (Georgia State). LaMothe (4-3) is coming off his best start of the season in which he threw 7.0 shutout innings and put up six strikeouts in a 10-0 win over the Wisconsin Woodchucks (17-2, 34-20) on July 19th.
Starting for the Rafters is right-hander Kyle Wormington (Valparaiso). Wormingotn (2-3) has struggled in his last two starts, carrying a 9.00 ERA in his last 10.0 innings on the mound. In his last outing he earned the win after going 5.1 innings and giving up five runs on three hits in the Rafters 8-7 win over the Mallards on July 15th. Although he has shown great command, he has 23 strikeouts compared to eight walks, opponents have been able to hit him well, averaging .288.
Few around the Northwoods League have matched the production of Mallards left fielder Derek Fisher (Virginia) in the last 10 games. Over that stretch the lefty has hit .343 with five home runs and 11 RBIs.
Mallards pitchers better beware of Rafters center fielder Alex Bacon (North Florida), who has shown a knack for coming through in big situations. So far this summer he is hitting .326 with two home runs and 19 RBIs when coming to the plate with runners in scoring position.
The Mallards welcome the La Crosse Loggers (11-8, 37-17) to the "Duck Pond" tomorrow, July 29th to start a four game series. That night will be MINI of Madison Mini Cooper Roadster Maynard Garden Gnome Night at the ballpark.
The 2012 season is upon us! Single-game tickets are on-sale for all Mallards home games!
The Madison Mallards are part of the 16-team Northwoods League. The Northwoods League has more teams, plays more games, and draws more fans than any other Summer Collegiate Baseball League in North America.
Northwoods League Stories from July 28, 2012
- Chinooks Show Resiliency in Finale with Express Saturday, 10-6 - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Stumble against St. Cloud in 4-2 Loss - Willmar Stingers
- Delaney's Grand Slam One of Four Homers in 13-8 Win - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rafters Lose in the Duck Pond - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Back on Track, Home Sunday - St. Cloud Rox
- Woodchucks Sneak Away 9-7 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Honkers Fall to Huskies 7-5 - Rochester Honkers
- Mallards Even up Home Stand with a Win over Rafters - Madison Mallards
- Mallards and Rafters Set to Decide Series - Madison Mallards
- Stassi Fans Eleven Bombers, Loggers Extend Winning Streak to Five - La Crosse Loggers
- Adams Named NWL's Player of the Night - Waterloo Bucks
- Rox Clawed by Cats - St. Cloud Rox
- Downes Homer Difference in Madison, 5-4 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Add Greg Dahmen to Wall of Fame - Madison Mallards
- Rough Fourth Spells End for Chinooks in Eau Claire Friday 11-5 In - Lakeshore Chinooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.