Hawks Slowed by Slugging DragonsJune 30, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) South Bend Silver Hawks
Jesse Darrah (5-5) took the loss for South Bend, allowing seven earned runs on nine hits over four innings. The right-hander faced 10 batters in the seven-run second inning. Darrah struck out one and did not walk anybody. Dayton left-hander Tanner Robles (5-5) notched the win for the Dragons, allowing two earned runs on four hits over six innings. Robles walked four and struck out one.
The Dragons hit three home runs and four doubles in the game. Juan Silva and Sean Buckley each hit two-run home runs off Darrah in the second inning. Juan Perez belted a two-run home run off Jake Barrett in the ninth inning, the first hit the right-hander has allowed this season.
Trailing 7-0 in the fourth inning, the Silver Hawks cut the deficit to five with a two-run double from infielder Eric Groff. It was Groff's fourth double this season - he was thrown out trying to stretch it to a triple.
Alex Capaul worked four scoreless innings out of the Silver Hawks bullpen. The righty allowed hits to the first two he faced in the fifth, but got Kyle Waldrop to hit into double play, beginning a stretch of 11 consecutive retired by the Hawks right-hander.
Jake Barrett allowed two unearned runs on one hit in the ninth inning for South Bend.
The seven-run second inning matched the most runs the Silver Hawks have allowed in an inning this season.
Perez finished 3-for-5 with three RBIs for Dayton while Junior Arias, Ryan Wright and Buckley each tallied two hits for the Dragons.
The Silver Hawks are 5-5 against the Dragons this season.
The Silver Hawks welcome the first-half champion Lansing Lugnuts to Coveleski Stadium on Sunday to begin a three-game series. Right-hander Archie Bradley (7-4, 3.79) gets the ball for South Bend and he will be opposed by right-hander Aaron Sanchez (6-0, 0.69). First pitch is scheduled for 7:35 p.m. EST. Tickets are available for purchase by calling 235-9988 or online at www.silverhawks.com.
Midwest League Stories from June 30, 2012
- Goeddel's Big Fly Powers Hot Rods to Series Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods hold off Lugnuts, 4-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rattlers top Chiefs 9-5 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- LATE MISCUES COST 'CAPS AS COMEBACK FALLS SHORT - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fort Wayne downs Great Lakes in Finale, 4-3 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Blanked by Bees - Kane County Cougars
- Hawks Slowed by Slugging Dragons - South Bend Silver Hawks
- 7-Run Inning Carries Dragons to 9-2 Win - Dayton Dragons
- LHP Matt Smoral Added to DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons' Ewing Sent to Bakersfield - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels fall, 3-2, in rain-shortened game to Quad Cities - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bees Crushed by Cougars, 8-1 - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.