Bees Crushed by Cougars, 8-1June 30, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Burlington Bees
Drew Granier came into the game tied for the most wins in the league with nine victories this year. Granier only faced two over the minimum after the first two innings. Unfortunately he struggled to hit his spots and fell behind batters in the third. Eventually Granier couldn't miss enough bats, as well.
Granier allowed five runs in the bottom third with the initial blow coming from Jack Lopez who lined a base hit into right to drive in a run. Another run scored on the play when right fielder Bobby Crocker misplayed the ball in right. Alex Llanos and Kenny Swab both had two-out RBI-singles in an inning that saw the Cougars send a batter to the plate ten times.
Granier struggled again the fourth and allowed two runs to score on a one-out double by Michael An- tonio. Overall Granier (9-4) pitched 3.2 innings and allowed ten hits and seven earned runs while only striking out three Cougars. The seven runs were the second most he's allowed in a start this season. He took his fourth loss of the season.
Chas Mye pitched 3.1 innings out of the pen and only allowed one run in the sixth inning, while David Mota pitched a scoreless bottom of the eighth.
The offense struggled throughout the night, but mustered a run in the top of the ninth to avoid a shut- out. Rashun Dixon led off the inning with a screaming single into leftfield and scored on an RBI single to center by Bobby Crocker. Crocker went 2-for-4 with the RBI.
The Bees try to end their eight-game losing to the Cougars on Saturday night. A win also guarantees the Bees finish above .500 in one month for the first time this year. They're 12-12 heading into game three.
For more information on Bees baseball call (319) 754-5705 or visit www.gobees.com.
Midwest League Stories from June 30, 2012
- Goeddel's Big Fly Powers Hot Rods to Series Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods hold off Lugnuts, 4-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rattlers top Chiefs 9-5 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- LATE MISCUES COST 'CAPS AS COMEBACK FALLS SHORT - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fort Wayne downs Great Lakes in Finale, 4-3 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Blanked by Bees - Kane County Cougars
- Hawks Slowed by Slugging Dragons - South Bend Silver Hawks
- 7-Run Inning Carries Dragons to 9-2 Win - Dayton Dragons
- LHP Matt Smoral Added to DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons' Ewing Sent to Bakersfield - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels fall, 3-2, in rain-shortened game to Quad Cities - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bees Crushed by Cougars, 8-1 - Burlington Bees