WhiteWings Win Slugfest, 11-6June 27, 2012 - North American League (NAL) San Angelo Colts
Four WhiteWings had at least three hits, including left fielder Ruddy Yan, who went 4-for-5. Rio Grande Valley led by as many as seven runs, and scored in all but three innings.
On the mound, Polanco (5-1) worked around seven hits and struck out five Colts to earn his league-best fifth win. His earned-run average is now a league-best 1.10.
Down 7-0, the Colts rallied in the seventh. Catcher Michael Pair led off with a walk, centerfielder Ronnie Gaines singled and second baseman Jason Diaz walked to load the bases. Then with one out, left fielder Cory Patton crushed a three-RBI double that scored Pair, Gaines and Diaz. Patton later scored on right fielder Jamar Walton's RBI ground out.
The four-run inning cut the Colts' deficit to three, but they never got any closer. Rio Grande Valley scored five runs in the last three innings to seal the win.
San Angelo starter Brian Henschel (2-4) gave up seven runs, six earned, on 13 hits in seven innings and took the loss.
The Colts are now 15-17, while Rio Grande Valley is 20-12. The WhiteWings are now five games ahead of the Colts for first place in the United League.
This series continues Thursday evening with $1 Beer Night, sponsored by Miller Lite. Fans can enjoy $1 beers in the Beer Garden all night long, courtesy of Miller Lite, and stick around after the game for live music. Gates open at 6:05 p.m., and first pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
The Colts are a member of United League Baseball who are in their 13th season. Tickets are on sale now, and available at the Colts' front office at Foster Field.
North American League Stories from June 27, 2012
- WhiteWings Win Slugfest, 11-6 - San Angelo Colts
- Yan, Polanco Lead WhiteWings Past San Angelo - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Eight Run Fifth Lifts Roadrunners to Victory - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Thunder Gets a Road Victory - McAllen Thunder
- Cats Return from Ugly Road Trip, Fall to Last Place Thunder 5-3 - Fort Worth Cats
- Fort Worth Cats Add Power Hitter Luis Blanco - Fort Worth Cats
- Chick-Fil-A Night Presented by KXVA Fox Abilene - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- First Youth Clinic Is Tonight - San Angelo Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.