Arizona Tops Coaches' Poll AgainJune 27, 2012 - Arena Football League (AFL)
With a 52-37 victory over the Milwaukee Mustangs (5-9) in Week 16, the Rattlers maintained possession of the Poll's number one spot with 11 first place votes. The road victory extended the team's winning-streak to six games. Quarterback Nick Davila leads the League in yards per completion with an average of 14.2 on the season. He and the Rattlers travel to Spokane this Friday to take on the Shock (8-6) in a West Division matchup. Kickoff is set for 11 p.m. ET.
The Philadelphia Soul (12-3) cling to second place in the Poll with four first place votes following a victory over the Pittsburgh Power (3-11), 69-34. With seven passing scores in Week 16, quarterback Dan Raudabaugh broke Tony Graziani's single-season franchise record of 90 passing touchdowns, set in 2005. Raudabaugh has 94 this season. The team heads to Tampa Bay this Friday to play the Storm (6-8). The game is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET.
With their eighth consecutive win, San Antonio (11-3) remains third in the Poll with two first place votes. The Talons scored a franchise-record 77 points in last week's 77-56 victory over Tampa Bay. Defensive lineman Victor DeGrate has forced a League-high six fumbles this season. This Saturday, quarterback Aaron Garcia will start his 202nd career game as the team takes on the Kansas City Command (3-11) at home. Kickoff is set for 8:00 p.m. ET.
Remaining in fourth place is the Utah Blaze (10-5) after a 61-38 win over the Georgia Force (7-8) in Week 16. Quarterback Tommy Grady became the AFL's single-season passing touchdowns record-holder after tossing his 118th of the year last weekend. The Blaze will head into Week 17 with a bye.
Despite a 63-90 loss against the Shock last week, the SaberCats (9-6) retain the fifth spot in the Poll. This was the team's first loss at home since May 28, 2011. Quarterback Mark Grieb became just the third player in pro football history to record 900 passing touchdowns in a career. The SaberCats travel to Chicago this Saturday to take on the Rush (9-5) who remain undefeated at home. Kickoff is set for 8:00 p.m. ET.
WEEK 17 COACHES' POLL
RK Team (1ST place votes) W-L Pts Last Week
1 Arizona Rattlers (11) 11-3 155 1
2 Philadelphia Soul (4) 12-3 143 2
3 San Antonio Talons (2) 11-3 127 3
4 Utah Blaze 10-5 110 4
5 San Jose SaberCats 9-6 87 5
6 Spokane Shock 8-6 87 7
7 Chicago Rush 9-5 84 6
8 Jacksonville Sharks 7-7 54 NR
9 New Orleans VooDoo 7-7 40 9
10 Georgia Force 7-8 15 10
Arena Football League Stories from June 27, 2012
- Defensive Back Mervin Brookins Returns to San Jose - San Jose SaberCats
- Two Former Sharks Stick in CFL - Jacksonville Sharks
- ATI Two-Minute Drill with VooDoo Head Coach Pat O'Hara, Episode 16 - New Orleans VooDoo
- Soul Announce Military Appreciation Night - Philadelphia Soul
- Shock to Face Dangerous Rattlers - Spokane Shock
- Arizona Tops Coaches' Poll Again - AFL
- Talons Look To Secure Playoff Dream With Saturday Night Home Game - San Antonio Talons
- Rush Team with 100 Club of Chicago to Recognize City's Police and Firefighters - Chicago Rush
- 21 Questions with VooDoo Doll Marshe' - New Orleans VooDoo
- PLAYNOLA, WGNO ABC 26 Set for Halftime Dodgeball Match this Saturday - New Orleans VooDoo
- Maurice Williams Earns AFL Weekly Honors - Cleveland Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.