Ellison Tallies Three Hits, Hawks Fall 9-4June 10, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) South Bend Silver Hawks
Chris Ellison paced the Silver Hawks with three hits and two runs scored. Fidel Pena and Niko Gallego each tallied two hits for the Silver Hawks, who pounded out nine total hits.
Right-hander Archie Bradley (6-4) lost his third straight start for South Bend, allowing four runs - two earned - on three hits over 4.1 innings. Bradley matched a career-high with five walks and matched a season-low with just one strikeout. James Jones (1-0) took the win out of the bullpen for Fort Wayne, hurling three scoreless innings with two strikeouts.
The Silver Hawks took the early 2-0 lead on Pena's two-RBI single in the first inning. Matt Helm hit a sacrifice fly in the third inning to put the Silver Hawks up 3-0. The TinCaps proceeded to score the game's next nine runs.
Fort Wayne cut the margin to one with a two-run third inning. Jace Peterson doubled in a run and Casey McElroy plated another with an RBI ground out. Bradley was forced from the game in the fifth inning after walking a pair and committing a throwing error that brought in the tying run for the TinCaps. Yeison Asencio hit a go-ahead sacrifice fly off Willy Paredes but the run was charged to Bradley.
Donavan Tate hit a two-run home run off Paredes in the sixth inning to put the TinCaps up 6-3. It was Paredes' first home run surrendered since 2011 in the Dominican Summer League.
Paredes went 1.2 innings and allowed two earned runs - the home run - on two hits with two strikeouts. Matt Sample pitched the final two innings and allowing three earned runs on four hits over two innings. Jace Peterson finished 4-for-5 and scored three runs for the TinCaps.
Right-hander Ruben Mejia started for the TinCaps and did not make it out of the third inning. Mejia allowed three earned runs on four hits over two innings.
The Silver Hawks and TinCaps will meet Monday in a rubber match for the third time this season - the Silver Hawks have won the previous two.
The Silver Hawks and TinCaps conclude the series Monday at Parkview Field beginning at 7:05 p.m. EST. Left-hander John Pedrotty (3-3, 5.27) starts for South Bend and he will be opposed by right-hander Cody Hebner (5-2, 3.79). The Silver Hawks return home on Friday, June 15, to take on the West Michigan Whitecaps at 7:35 p.m. EST. Tickets are available for purchase by calling 235-9988 or online at www.silverhawks.com.
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2012
- Rahmatulla Ties League Single-Game Hit Record in 16-15 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Win Slugfest in 11th, 16-15 over Bandits - Burlington Bees
- Kernels fall to Clinton in wild game, 10-8 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Tate Homers as TinCaps Win, 9-4 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Ellison Tallies Three Hits, Hawks Fall 9-4 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Chiefs Win Sixth Straight with 4-1 Sunday Victory - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Lose Second Straight to Chiefs - Kane County Cougars
- Rivera's Tenth Inning Blast Beats Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Silva, Gonzalez Lead Dragons to 6-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Walden, Lugnuts Flummox Captains, 4-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Sale Homers But Dragons Too Much to Handle - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Moya's the Man for West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- Lansing Keeps on Rolling, Beat Lake County 4-1 - Lake County Captains
- Marcus Walden Back on Roster - Lansing Lugnuts
- Ferguson Called to Start Today - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.