Predators Host Defending ArenaBowl Champion Jacksonville SharksMay 22, 2012 - Arena Football League (AFL) Orlando Predators
The all-time series between the two franchises favors the Sharks with a 4-2 lead over the Predators. Orlando faced Jacksonville three times during the 2011 season, losing all three matchups. The Sharks beat the Predators, 76-55, in Week 8, 68-67, in Week 14, and 63-48, in the American Conference Semi-Finals. The Sharks went on to win the ArenaBowl championship against the Arizona Rattlers in 2011.
In their matchup against the Sharks this week, the Predators offense will have to have to come prepared to play turnover free football. Last week, Preds quarterback Chris Leak made his starting debut with the team. Leak was 25 of 42, threw for 342 yards, eight touchdowns, and four interceptions. This week the Preds will be facing a strong Jacksonville defense. The Sharks are currently ranked fifth in total defense, fifth in passing defense, sixth in rushing defense, and fourth in the AFL in scoring defense. The Predators offense will need to limit their turnovers to win their first matchup of the season against the Sharks.
The Predators defense will also have to play a big role in this week's game against Jacksonville. The Sharks have a playmaker receiver in Terrance Smith, whose speed has turned him into one of the top receivers in the AFL this season. Through 11 weeks, Smith has 63 receptions for 792 yards, and 21 touchdowns. Sharks quarterback Bernard Morris has also been playing well in his past three games. In his start last week against Iowa, Morris was 18 of 24, threw for 202 yards, four touchdowns, and no turnovers.
The Predators will be facing a former teammate this week in quarterback Collin Drafts. Drafts was named the Predators starting quarterback in the beginning of the 2012 season. He was released by Orlando on April 16 after the Predators 0-5 start. Drafts was signed by the Sharks on May 17 and currently serves as the backup to Morris.
Up next the Predators go on the road to visit the American Conference leading Philadelphia Soul on June 2. The 7:05 p.m. matchup will be second time the Predators have faced off against the Soul this season, with Philadelphia winning the first game 69-53. The game will broadcast live on www.orlandopredators.com/live.
Arena Football League Stories from May 22, 2012
- Barnstormers Shake Things up on Offensive Line - Iowa Barnstormers
- Week 12 AFL Match-Up - Shock at Barnstormers - Spokane Shock
- Kellem's Interception Named Cutters Catch of the Week - New Orleans VooDoo
- Sharks' Taylor Earns Spalding Highlight of the Week - Jacksonville Sharks
- VooDoo Dolls Visit Children's Hospital On Tuesday Afternoon - New Orleans VooDoo
- Purify, Sanders and Johnson Earn Week 11 Honors - AFL
- Mustangs 25th Anniversary Mini Football Giveaway - Milwaukee Mustangs
- Two Attack Dancers Competing for Dream Team Spot - Jacksonville Sharks
- Predators Host Defending ArenaBowl Champion Jacksonville Sharks - Orlando Predators
- Greg Ellingson Signs with Tampa Bay Buccaneers - New Orleans VooDoo
- Fat Joe to Perform at Soul Game - Philadelphia Soul
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.