Storm Chasers Award Two Local High School Students with ScholarshipsApril 30, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Omaha Storm Chasers
"We are honored to award Damaris and Jazmine with the Jackie Robinson Athletic Scholarship," said the Omaha Storm Chasers President and General Manager, Martie Cordaro. "Damaris and Jazmine are role models to those in their communities. We hope this scholarship will help propel them to achieving their dreams."
McKeiver and Polk were recognized at a ceremony on Saturday, April 21 prior to the Omaha Storm Chasers-Nashville Sounds game at Werner Park. In addition to the scholarship, both McKeiver and Polk threw out first pitches.
In 1947, Jackie Robinson made history by breaking the color barrier, becoming the first African-American in Major League Baseball and following that season being named baseball's first Rookie of the Year. The Omaha Storm Chasers recognize the importance of that achievement and the legacy Jackie Robinson left for all Americans. The Home Run Foundation of Greater Omaha-Robinson Athletic Scholarship is a way to recognize a local high school student-athlete for the attributes defined by Mr. Robinson. To be eligible, the student must be a United States citizen or permanent resident, reside in Cass, Douglas, Lancaster, Pottawattamie or Sarpy County, have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5, be African-American, and be a high school senior participating in athletics and planning to enroll in a full-time undergraduate course of study at an accredited postsecondary institution.
For tickets to attend any game or event at Werner Park, please call the Werner Park Ticket Office at (402) 734-5100, visit the Werner Park Ticket Office Monday-Friday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. or visit www.omahastormchasers.com
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 30, 2012
- Craig Clubs Redbirds Past Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Fireworks, Cinco De Mayo Fiesta Highlight Homestand Events - Tucson Padres
- Craig Crushes Cubs - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes Shutout RedHawks, 5-0 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Schafer and Sounds Sink Storm Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Lambin Leads Zephyrs to 5-3 Win in Round Rock - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Schafer Provides Game-Winning Hit in Sounds' 4-3 Win over Omaha - Nashville Sounds
- Express Drop Opener against New Orleans 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- RH Berlind Joins I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. New Orleans Zephyrs (Miami - Round Rock Express
- Wheeler Named PCL Player of the Week - Reno Aces
- Wheeler And Hembree Top Stars For Week - PCL
- Storm Chasers Award Two Local High School Students with Scholarships - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Storm Chasers Home for Four Games Starting Friday, May 4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.