Hawks Pound out Season-High 17 Hits for Fifth Straight WinApril 26, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) South Bend Silver Hawks
J.R. Bradley (2-2) earned the win for the Hawks, tossing five shutout innings in his first road start of 2012. The right-hander allowed just two hits and struck out two. Austin Wood was hit with the loss for the Kernels, allowing four earned runs - three earned - on six hits over 3.2 innings.
Leading 4-0, the Silver Hawks broke the game open in the fifth inning. After Marc Bourgeois doubled and Roidany Aguila singled, Bobby Stone laced his second home run of the season to straight away right field to put the Hawks up 7-0. Tom Belza added an RBI double in the frame to make it 8-0.
Matt Helm and Aguila recorded three-hit games while Chris Ellison, Ender Inciarte, Belza and Bourgeois each notched two hits apiece for the surging Silver Hawks. Belza extended his hitting streak to 10 games, the longest of any Silver Hawk this season. Inciarte extended his to eight games.
Aguila brought in the Hawks final two runs on a two-RBI double in the eighth inning.
Infielder Josh Parr singled in a run in the second inning while Helm and Bourgeois added RBI hits in the third stanza.
The Kernels plated their lone run in the sixth inning on an RBI basehit from Frazier Hall.
Seth Simmons allowed one unearned run over two innings out of the Hawks bullpen. Simmons has not given up an earned run this season.
D.J. Johnson tossed the final two innings scoreless and struck out three.
The Silver Hawks are now 6-1 against the Western Division.
The Silver Hawks and Kernels will play game two Friday night from Cedar Rapids. First pitch is scheduled for 7:35 p.m. EST. Archie Bradley (2-1, 1.71) makes the start for the Hawks and he will be opposed by left-hander Eswarlin Jimenez (0-1, 6.10). The Silver Hawks return home on Wednesday, May 2 against the Bowling Green Hot Rods. Tickets are available for purchase by calling 235-9988 or online at www.silverhawks.com.
Midwest League Stories from April 26, 2012
- Bees Lose Game Two to TinCaps, 6-2 - Burlington Bees
- McInnis Throws Six Shutout Innings in 5-1 Bandits Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Tie in 9th, Win in 10th at Wisconsin - Dayton Dragons
- Great Lakes Blashed in 8-4 Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons claw past Rattlers in ten - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- South Bend slams Kernels 10-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugnuts continue pitching mastery, 6-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hawks Pound out Season-High 17 Hits for Fifth Straight Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Snappers Win Three in a Row - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Defeat Chiefs 7-6 in 11 Innings - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Four-Run First Enough against Hot Rods - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Lose 7-6 in 11 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Blanked by Lugnuts - Kane County Cougars
- Final Weekend of High School Games at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Move - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Gameday for April 26 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.