Bees turn tables, shut out Lugnuts, 2-0April 20, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
Murphy (Win, 1-1) turned in a career performance with a career-high 6 2/3 innings and a career-high seven strikeouts. Lansing managed to put only three runners in scoring position all evening against the Burlington starter.
Jesse Hernandez (Loss, 1-1) started well for Lansing, striking out five consecutive batters in the first two innings, but ran into trouble in the sixth inning. Douglas Landaeta led off with a double, was sacrificed to third, and scored on a Bobby Crocker RBI single.
In the eighth, Burlington catcher John Nester added an insurance run with a solo home run to left off reliever Blake McFarland.
McFarland was strong otherwise, throwing 2 2/3 innings while recording three strikeouts.
Jon Berti recorded half of Lansing's hits on Friday night with a pair of singles. Andy Burns added a trio of walks in his night's plate appearances in the losing cause.
In the rubber match of the series the Lugnuts send Anthony DeSclafani to the mound on against Burlington right-hander Jonathan Jones (0-1, 5.93). Game time is set for 7:30 p.m. at Community Field.
The Lansing Lugnuts return home to Cooley Law School Stadium on Wednesday, April 25th, beginning a six-game homestand with a 7:05 p.m. "Ladies Night" against Kane County. Tickets are available for purchase at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
Midwest League Stories from April 20, 2012
- Sano, Snappers Throttle Hawks to Force Rubber Match - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons Collect 15 Hits, Win 12-7 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Wash Away Bandits' Winning Streak, 12-7 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Win Pitchers' Duel Part Two - Burlington Bees
- Homers Lift Hot Rods Over Kernels on Friday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Fall 7-5 Friday Night - Peoria Chiefs
- TinCaps Crush Cougars 12-1 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees turn tables, shut out Lugnuts, 2-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Shutout Lumberkings 7-0 - Lake County Captains
- Cougars Mauled by TinCaps - Kane County Cougars
- Defense leads the way as Rattlers win fourth straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Vega-Rosado Placed on DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bad Apple Dancers Win Hoosier Hospitality Award - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Gameday for April 20 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Host Public Safety Day on April 22nd - Dayton Dragons
- Loons, Dow Partner for Dow Student Heroes - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.