Fisher Cats Win Wild Affair in New Britain 6-5April 19, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) New Hampshire Fisher Cats
With the game tied at 5-5 in the top of the ninth, Mike McDade walked. Brad Glenn grounded into a fielders choice, but stole second, scoring on Howard's single off losing pitcher Lester Oliveros (0-1).
Ron Uviedo (1-0) earned the win in relief and Matt Wright picked up his first Double-A save working around a lead-off double by Deibinson Romero in the bottom of the ninth inning.
The Rock Cats took the lead in the bottom of the first inning. Evan Bigley walked, moved to second on a single by Chris Collabello and scored on a single by Aaron Hicks to make it 1-0 off Fisher Cats starting pitcher Brett Cecil. Cecil left the game in the bottom of the first inning with an apparent injury, facing just five batters.
New Hampshire (6-8) took the lead in the top of the third inning. John Tolisano singled, moved to second on a wild pitch, went to third on a single by Ryan Goins and scored on an error on a pick off throw to make it 2-2. Goins scored on a single by Howard for the lead.
New Britain (10-5) moved back in front in the bottom of third inning. Chris Herrmann doubled and Evan Bigley singled him home to tie the game. Bigley would later come around to score on a passed ball to make it 3-2 Rock Cats.
The Fisher Cats took the lead back in the top of the fourth inning. Jonathan Diaz singled, moved to second on wild pick off throw and to third on a wild pitch. John Tolisano walked ahead of a double by Goins (2-for-4, 2 RBI) to make it 4-3.
New Hampshire added a run in the top of the seventh inning. McDade walked, went to second on a wild pitch and scored on a single by Howard.
New Britain rallied to tie the game at 5-5 with two runs in the bottom of the eighth. Nate Hanson reached on an error by pitcher Ron Uviedo and Estarlan De Los Santos singled. The runners moved up on a wild pitch and both scored on a triple by Evan Bigley with two outs.
The series continues on Friday morning at 10:35am at New Britain Stadium. RHP Drew Hutchison (2-1, 2.16) is scheduled to start for the Fisher Cats against LHP Luke French (2-0, 0.96). You can follow the action with Bob Lipman beginning at 10:15am on the WGIR Fisher Cats Radio Network and www.nhfishercats.com.
The Fisher Cats return home to begin a seven-game home stand on Friday, April 27, against the Trenton Thunder, Double-A affiliate of the New York Yankees. The opener of the series features spectacular Atlas Fireworks and the Oral Health Challenge presented by Northeast Delta Dental. You can view the entire promotional schedule for the home stand and purchase tickets by visiting www.nhfishercats.com.
Eastern League Stories from April 19, 2012
- Baysox Drop 'Wolves in Series Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Big First Inning Leads Senators Past Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- Clark Leads Sox Past SeaWolves - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Win Wild Affair in New Britain 6-5 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Gorski Rocks & Offense Rolls in 6-0 Win - Binghamton Mets
- Senators Ride Big First Inning to 6-2 Win over Trenton - Harrisburg Senators
- Rock Cats Battle Back, Lose In 9th - New Britain Rock Cats
- B-Mets Sting Sea Dogs in 6-0 Shutout - Portland Sea Dogs
- Cumpton Victorious Second Time Around as Curve Win, 4-3 - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels Miss Chances, Fall Short in Opener, 4-3 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Thunder Add of Medchill; Place Brewer on DL - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Dunkin' Donuts Launches "Dunkin' Dugout" Program with Sea Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes Vs. Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Aeros Announce Roster Moves; Huff Joins Club on Rehab Assignment - Akron Aeros
- Wynn Pelzer Released, Greg Burke Joins Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.