Express Power Past Nailers for 3-1 WinMarch 14, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Chicago Express
In a first period that saw 30 shots combined between Chicago and Wheeling, goaltending was the story in the early going, and what an entertaining story it was. Express G Rob Madore turned away 19 shots in the first period including two point-blank breakaway opportunities to keep Wheeling off the board. Not to be outdone, Nailers G Peter Delmas made some impressive blocks himself stopping 10 of 11 shots faced in the first. The lone goal for the Express came with just over 3 minutes to go in the period on the power play when F Max Gratchev put a move on through two Wheeling defenders before feeding a perfect pass in the slot to D Scott Wietecha, who lifted a goal over Delmas.
Wheeling answered back to tie it up 9 minutes into the second period when F Chase Watson fed a pass across the slot that got deflected by an Express player right onto the tape of D Peter Child who fired a shot past Madore for his first professional goal. It took Chicago just 7 minutes to regain the lead, once again on a power play, as D Darcy Campbell found an open shooting lane and blasted a goal over the left leg pad of Delmas. Despite the 2-1 Express lead, Wheeling held a 28-17 shot advantage through the middle frame.
Each team tightened up defensively in the third, but Chicago doubled their lead with a power play goal in the third period. F Pierre-Luc Faubert and D Jonathan Zion combined to force a turnover, and RW Danick Paquette one-timed the shot home putting the Express ahead 3-1 with 3:20 left in the game. Madore and the Express shut down the Nailers for the rest of the contest, with Madore finishing with 34 saves on 35 shots.
Power plays: CHI: 3/5; WHE: 0/5
Three stars: 1. R. Madore (CHI); 2. D. Paquette (CHI); 3. D. Campbell (CHI)
The Express scored all three of their goals on the power play tonight, marking the first time they have scored more than two power play goals in a single game... G Rob Madore stopped 19 shots in the first period, setting a Chicago Express record for saves in a single period. In three games with Chicago, Madore has already set club records for shots faced in a game, saves in a game, and saves in a single period... RW Danick Paquette scored for Chicago tonight, and now scored in each of the three games he has played for the Express.
The homestand continues against Toledo on Friday, March 16, and against the Trenton Titans on Saturday, March 17, and Sunday, March 18. Friday night is a Dollar Friday at the Sears Centre Arena, on Saturday the Express will wear special St. Patrick's Day jerseys, while Sunday features a skate with the team following the game. To get tickets, call the Express at 224-220-1333.
ECHL Stories from March 14, 2012
- Grizzlies Beat Bakersfield 3-2; Win 4th-Straight - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Rally Past Thunder, 3-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Aces Invade Colorado with 4-1 Win - Alaska Aces
- Aces Continue Defensive Dominance Over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Express Power Past Nailers for 3-1 Win - Chicago Express
- Royals Flounder Against Florida, 8-3 - Reading Royals
- Child Nets First Professional Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- K-Wings Continue Offensive Woes - Kalamazoo Wings
- Brandt Leads the Gladiators to 7th Straight Win - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Toledo Beats Kalamazoo 3-1 - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Fall in Gwinnett, 3-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Idaho Steelheads - Stockton Thunder
- Syvret Returns from Portland - Trenton Titans
- ECHL Transactions - March 14 - ECHL
- Condors Vs. Utah Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Defenseman Zach McKelvie Assigned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Jackals Playoff Ticket Information Released - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Wheeling Tonight - Chicago Express
- Eagles Sign Amateur Defenseman Isaac Smeltzer - Colorado Eagles
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Gwinnett - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Eagles Playoff Tickets to Go on Sale Friday, March 23 - Colorado Eagles
- Penguins Assign Samuelsson to Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Add Game Plan Holder to the Roster - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Today - March 14 - ECHL
- Reign Lose First in Steelhead Series, 3-2 - Ontario Reign
- Steelheads Hold on for 3-2 Win in Ontario - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.