Super Bowl XLVI Champion Mark Herzlich to Headline New Era Cap Crunch vs. Cancer GameMarch 9, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Syracuse Crunch
During the summer before his senior year at Boston College, Herzlich was selected as a first-team All-American and named ACC Defensive Player of the Year. Herzlich sat out all of his senior year, after being diagnosed with Ewings Sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. Defying the doctor's prognosis, Herzlich returned to football, starting in all 13 games at Boston College during the 2010-11 season and signing with the Giants in July of 2011. Herzlich has played in 11 games with the Giants this season, recording his first NFL start in the Giants 17-10 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.
A number of charity initiatives, including raffling signed Herzlich Crunch jerseys and footballs, are planned to benefit Upstate Cancer Center.
Fans will have the opportunity to meet Herzlich during an autograph signing in Memorial Hall during the first intermission. Additionally, a limited number of VIP packages are available. VIP package includes tickets to the March 17 game against Adirondack and passes to an exclusive meet and greet with Herzlich prior to the game, with a percentage of each package benefiting Upstate Cancer Center.
New Era Cap, headquartered in Buffalo, is an international lifestyle brand with an authentic sports heritage that dates back over 90 years. Best known for being the official on-field cap for Major League Baseball, New Era will also be seen on the sidelines of the National Football League beginning in the 2012 season. The brand is worn as a symbol of self-expression by athletes, artists and some of the most interesting people around the globe and is the product of choice for not only headwear but also accessories and apparel.
The Syracuse Crunch play their next home game on March 9 when they host the Albany Devils at 7:30 p.m. at the War Memorial. Both season and single game tickets are on sale and can be purchased by calling the Crunch office at 315-473-4444, or by stopping by the Crunch office at the War Memorial Arena, located at 800 S. State Street in downtown Syracuse.
American Hockey League Stories from March 9, 2012
- Three-Game Win Steak Comes to An End in Fifth Straight Extra-Time Decision - Lake Erie Monsters
- Sceviour Pushes Stars Past Rampage 4-3 in OT - Texas Stars
- Whale Capture SO Win over Bridgeport - Connecticut Whale
- Zats the Way - Manchester Monarchs
- Pirates Fall Short in Milestone Game - Portland Pirates
- Amerks Down B-Sens for Fifth Straight Home Win - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Victorious in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Bulldogs Drop 5-0 Decision to Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- IceCaps trounce Bears - St. John's IceCaps
- P-Bruins Fall to Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Six Sharks Score in 6-4 Home Win Over Pirates - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Rally But Lose in Shootout - Albany Devils
- Falcons Shut out by Monarchs 3-0 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Invade North Country - Adirondack Phantoms
- B-Sens Fall to Amerks, 3-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Johnson's Pair of Goals Lead Admirals to 13th Straight Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Recap: Penguins Defeat Bruins in the Shootout - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Whale Beats Sound Tigers 4-3 in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceCaps Win Big Over Bears in First-Ever Meeting - Hershey Bears
- Forward Marcus Foligno Recalled from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Ducks Recall O'Marra - Syracuse Crunch
- Super Bowl XLVI Champion Mark Herzlich to Headline New Era Cap Crunch vs. Cancer Game - Syracuse Crunch
- Canadiens Recall Louis Leblanc from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Watt Recalled from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Preview - San Antonio at Texas - Texas Stars
- Gilbert Recalled from Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Detroit Recalls Andersson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Take 12-Game Winning Streak on the Road - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Announce Details of $10 Wednesday Presented by Warehouse Carpet Outlets - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Headed to Manchester Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Vs Rivermen Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Tonight's Devils Game Televised Locally - Albany Devils
- Preview: IceCaps Vs. Bears - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.