A League Leading Six Muckdogs Named NYPL All-StarsAugust 9, 2011 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Batavia Muckdogs
Perez was an undrafted free agent signing in 2006 and has started 27 games at catcher for the Muckdogs this season. He is currently batting .327 with 8 doubles and 15 RBI's. Castillo has also been solid behind the plate this year and has helped guide the pitching staff to a team ERA of 3.85.
Bergman, a 33rd round pick in the 2010 draft, will be making his second consecutive all-star appearance and has been among the league leaders in hitting all season. Bergman currently ranks fifth in the league in hitting, with a .320 batting average, to go along with 8 doubles and 17 RBI's.
David Medina was signed by the Cardinals as an undrafted free agent in 2006 and is enjoying a stellar first season with the Muckdogs. His seven home runs are tied for fourth in the league and his 33 runs scored are third in the league. Medina who plays a mixture of first base and outfield, was selected as a first baseman for this year's squad.
A 24th round pick out of Florida Tech, Cornelius is 1-2 with 37 strikeouts in 11 outings for the Muckdogs. The left-hander's ERA of 2.85 ranks him ninth in the league and hitters are only hitting .194 against him, good for second in the league.
St. Louis drafted Maness out of Eastern Carolina in the 11th round of the 2011 draft. He has appeared in nine games and has a 0-0 record with a 0.52 ERA. In 34.2 innings of work, he has struck out 27 batters and only allowed 20 hits.
McInnis, a 25th round pick out of Southern Mississippi, is third in the league with 2.12 ERA and a record of 3-2. His WHIP of just 0.92 leads the league and batters are hitting just .208 against him.
Batavia holds the fourth place spot in the Pinckney Division with a record of 24-26. This marks the third time in four years that the Muckdogs have sent at least five players to the All-Star game. The Muckdogs sent five players to the 2008 All-Star game, three in 2009 and five in 2010.
New York-Penn League Stories from August 9, 2011
- Martinez's Single Wins it for Cutters - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Spikes Produce with the Bases Juiced to Beat IronBirds, 5-2 - State College Spikes
- Spikes Halt IronBirds' Win Streak at Five - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Jammers Rained out at Connecticut - Jamestown Jammers
- Tigers-Jammers Game Postponed Due to Rain - Connecticut Tigers
- Muckdogs-Cyclones Game Postponed Due to Rain - Batavia Muckdogs
- 5 Cutters Chosen for All Star Game - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Four Scrappers Named to All-Star Roster - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- State College Spikes Game Notes - August 9 Vs. Aberdeen - State College Spikes
- Aberdeen IronBirds Game Notes - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Four Jammers Named to the All-Star Game - Jamestown Jammers
- Dean Green and Brennan Smith Selected to 2011 All-Star Game - Connecticut Tigers
- Al Kaline Night a Booming Success - Connecticut Tigers
- Trio of Outfielders, Cecchini to Represent Spinners at All-Star Game in Lowell - Lowell Spinners
- A League Leading Six Muckdogs Named NYPL All-Stars - Batavia Muckdogs
- Bark In The Park, Paint The Park Pink Highlight Spikes' Six-Game Homestand - State College Spikes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.