Collmenter Cruises as BayBears Blast BravesMay 27, 2010 - Southern League (SL) Mobile BayBears
Collmenter (2-0) has yet to give up a run in the Southern League after tossing seven innings of shutout ball in his last start against the Barons. He limited Mississippi (23-24) to just three hits in the contest while striking out six and walking a pair. Both of those free passes came in the first, but Collmenter wiggled out of trouble by punching out Cody Johnson.
Mike Minor (1-4) entered the contest with a league-leading 72 strikeouts and several dominating performances this season, but he wouldn't carry it over against the BayBears (24-23). After Collin Cowgill reached on a wild pitch on strike three, Kory Casto walked in front of an RBI double by Konrad Schmidt. Casto scored on a sac fly by Cyle Hankerd, and the BayBears were off and running with a 2-0 lead.
Three more came home in the fifth as Collmenter picked up a bunt base hit to score Jake Elmore. Cowgill then blasted a two-run double to center to score Ollie Linton and Evan Frey to make it 5-0.
In the sixth, Taylor Harbin broke out of his May doldrums with a two-run homer. Harbin had been hitting well .200 under since a red-hot April, but his tater put the BayBears up by seven. They made it 8-0 in the eighth inning with Linton singling home Schmidt against Lee Hyde.
Mississippi didn't touch the scoreboard until the ninth inning when Bryan Henry was tagged for four runs. It could have been worse if it weren't a base running error by Randy Gress with two outs as he appeared to think Willie Cabrera's base hit to right was caught. Gress ended up being tagged out by Casto between third and home to end the game.
The BayBears continue their five-game set with the M-Braves on Friday night at 7:05 with fireworks lighting up the sky after the game. For tickets, which start at $5 for kids and $7 for adults, call (251) 479-BEAR or log on to www.mobilebaybears.com. For more information on the Hank Aaron Childhood Home & Museum, please visit www.hankaaronstadium.com.
Southern League Stories from May 27, 2010
- Late Rally for M-Braves Falls Short in Second Loss to Mobile - Mississippi Braves
- Hall Dazzles, Offense Explodes in 7-2 Win - Montgomery Biscuits
- Behind Pineda, Jaxx Even Series with Mudcats - Jackson Generals
- Collmenter Cruises as BayBears Blast Braves - Mobile BayBears
- Mudcats Bested by Diamond Jaxx, 7-4 - Carolina Mudcats
- Smokies Fall 7-2 in Montgomery - Tennessee Smokies
- Lookouts Even Series with Suns - Jacksonville Suns
- Diamond Jaxx Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Antoan Richardson to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- BayBears Host Family Fridays At Hank Aaron Stadium - Mobile BayBears
- Huntsville Stars Introduce "Belly Buster Party Deck" At Monday Home Games - Huntsville Stars
- Stars Make Transactions With Krieger And Sanchez - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.