Chicago Fire Tie Houston Dynamo 1-1 In Preseason FriendlyMarch 12, 2010 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Chicago Fire
The Fire wrapped its extensive preseason away from Chicago with a hard fought, physical outing against the Dynamo. Fire goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra did well in the first half to prevent the Dynamo from scoring. In the 39th minute, the 24-year old came off his touch line to snuff out Dynamo forward Dominic Oduro's shot, before hustling back into position to save the ensuing rebound attempt by Oduro's strike-mate, Cam Weaver.
The Dynamo broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute, when Dynamo forward Luis Angel Landin served an outside of the foot cross from the left hand side to Weaver who headed the ball past Dykstra to the far post to give the Dynamo a 1-0 advantage.
Just eight minutes later, the Fire pulled back to tie the game at 1-1. In the 71st minute, Fire defender Wilman Conde stole the ball at midfield and pushed forward into the attacking third. Conde played the ball to an open Pappa, who fired a driven right-footed shot from the edge of the Dynamo penalty area into the back of the net.
In the 74th minute, Fire forward Patrick Nyarko made a darting run into the Houston penalty area before being pulled down by Dynamo defender Eddie Robinson. With the penalty awarded, Pappa stepped to the spot and struck a right-footed shot directed towards the left post of Dynamo goalkeeper Pat Onstad. Onstad was quick off his line and dove to his right to keep the score level at one goal apiece.
The Fire take on the Notre Dame Fight Irish at the TOYOTA PARK practice field on Saturday, March 20 at 10:00 AM CT, in their final preseason tune-up before the MLS regular season gets underway March 27 against the New York Red Bulls.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 12, 2010
- Real Salt Lake To Travel To San Jose For Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Play-In Match On April 14 - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Costa Rican International Forward - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Host Real Salt Lake In U.S. Open Cup Play-In Match On Wednesday, April 14 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Salvadoran Community Corridor To Recognize Osael Romero And Gerson Mayén - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Keep On Rolling In Preseason, Defeat Rapids 2-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Invites Fans To Training And Lunch To Launch The Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. Native Wale To Perform Before United's Home Opener - D.C. United
- Dynamo Re-Acquire 2006 MLS Cup Champion Adrian Serioux From Toronto FC - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Lands Draft Pick From Houston - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire Sign Forward Collins John - Chicago Fire
- Seattle Sounders FC Fall to Portland Timbers 1-0 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Tie Houston Dynamo 1-1 In Preseason Friendly - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.