Bandits Steal Twinbill in 21 Total InningsJuly 10, 2009 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
The Lugnuts fell to 0-9 in extra-innings games and 6-14 in doubleheaders in 2009.
In Game 1, Bandits shortstop Jose Garcia grounded a two-out walk-off RBI infield single off of Dustin Antolin (0-3) in the bottom of the tenth, lifting Quad Cities to the victory.
Lansing's Chris Emanuele had ruined Hector Cardenas' bid for both a complete game shutout and a victory with a one-out game-tying single in the top of the seventh inning.
Matt Frevert (1-0) earned the win with two scoreless innings of relief.
In the no-decision, Lugnuts starter Chad Beck put forth his second consecutive strong start, allowing five hits and a run over seven innings while striking out six and walking none. With both Beck and Cardenas cruising, the first five innings of the game were played in just 60 minutes.
In Game 2, Justin McClanahan's two-run homer and Henderson Alvarez's strong pitching brought the Lugnuts within a strike of a 3-1 victory. However, Quad Cities designated hitter Jon Edwards crushed Alvarez's complete game bid with a a two-strike, two-out, game-tying two-run homer in the bottom of the seventh, sending the nightcap into extra-innings.
Osvaldo Morales ended the marathon evening in the bottom of the eleventh with a game-winning sacrifice fly to right off of Ryan Koch (2-7), scoring Garcia.
Joel Pichardo (2-1) pitched two scoreless innings to pick up the victory.
Oddly, the doubleheader saw 48 combined strikeouts compared to only two walks between the two teams.
The Lugnuts wrap up their three-game series with Quad Cities on Friday night at 8:00 p.m., sending right-hander Chase Lirette (3-0, 2.39) to the mound against Bandits right-hander Brett Zawacki (1-3, 5.46).
Midwest League Stories from July 10, 2009
- Tincaps Complete Sweep of Kernels, 5-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Big Crowd Sees Bush and Rattlers Win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Tippett Stops Streak - Beloit Snappers
- Kings' Snap Skid in Shutout Fashion - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs Fall 7-6 Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Fall in Clinton 6-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Nip Bees, Win 2nd Set in Row - Kane County Cougars
- Hawks Streak Snapped at Three - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Hart gets the start in Peoria Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Welcome to the rotation, Mr. Lee - Kane County Cougars
- Bass, Zadawski take Padres' June awards - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Autism Awareness Night Rescheduled for July 23rd - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Stevens Becomes 34th Former Dragon to Reach Majors - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday June 10th - Dayton Dragons
- Politically Minded Bandits to Settle Mayoral Controversy - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Timber Rattlers Make Front Office Moves - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Whitecaps First Home Playoff Date Announced - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Steal Twinbill in 21 Total Innings - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits Walk-Off In Extras Twice - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.