Musketeers announce Luke Strand as General Manager and Head CoachJuly 9, 2009 - United States Hockey League (USHL) Sioux City Musketeers
Sioux City, IA - The Sioux City Musketeers are proud to announce that Luke Strand has been hired as their General Manager/Head Coach. Strand, 36, from Eau Claire, WI succeeds Todd Knott who resigned to take a position with Minnesota State, Mankato a few weeks ago. Strand has experience with the USHL as a player with the North Iowa Huskies and as an assistant coach with the Green Bay Gamblers. He served as an assistant coach with Division 3 powerhouse St. Norbert's and was the Head Coach/Assistant Athletic Director for the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire. In August 2007 Luke was hired by the Minnesota Wild and spent the past two seasons as an assistant coach for their top farm team, the Houston Aeros.
"I can't tell you how happy I am to be back in the USHL and especially with the Sioux City Musketeers. I appreciate the opportunity afforded to me by the Musketeers management and look forward to leading them to success both on and off the ice. The USHL is undoubtedly the best junior hockey league in the country and I am thrilled to be a part of it; but even more excited about the chance to lead the tradition rich' Musketeers organization", said Strand.
"I was inundated with applications for this job", said Musketeers President Jim Kronschnabel. "It was flattering to the organization but really speaks volumes about what the USHL has become. I had over 70 applications from the US, Canada, and even some from Europe. We are extremely happy to get a coach with the vast experience, drive, and desire Luke has. He has coached at all levels of hockey, has a history with the USHL, and spent the last two seasons coaching with one of the premier National Hockey League organizations".
The Musketeers are also proud to announce that assistant coaches Rick Comley, Jr and Cam Ellsworth will remain with the organization in their current positions.
There will be a meet and greet later in the evening from 5:00pm to 7:00pm at MacBehr's on Historic Fourth Street. Fans are welcome to attend both events.
United States Hockey League Stories from July 9, 2009
- Tri-City Storm, USHL Announce 2009-2010 Schedule - Tri-City Storm
- RoughRiders Announce 2009-10 Schedule - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Des Moines Buccaneers News Release - 2009 - 2010 Schedule - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Musketeers announce Luke Strand as General Manager and Head Coach - Sioux City Musketeers
- Omaha Lancers Release 2009-2010 Regular Season Schedule - Omaha Lancers
- Stampede Announce 2009-2010 Schedule - Sioux Falls Stampede
- USHL Announces 2009-10 Schedule - USHL
- Black Hawks, USHL Schedule Announced - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Storm Hires Ryan Bencurik as Assistant Coach - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.